Chapter 14: FASHION for Passion

Attendance at St. Clarice's on the Friday of the dance was close to zero. Kevon, Tiffany, and Yoshanda had spent the day before making sure Tara and Michelle had no idea what was coming for them!

"So why aren't we talking to Yoshanda if we like her again?" Tiffany had asked, genuinely confused while her and Kevon sat in the Bistro at lunchtime.

Kevon rolled her eyes, she had explained this to Tiffany three whole times already!

"Because we are going to sabotage Tara and Michelle at the dance tomorrow!" Kevon replied agitatedly while taking a bite of her garden salad.

"Speak of the devil" Tiffany whispered.

At that very moment, Yoshanda, Tara, and Michelle walked up to Kevon and Tiffany's table.

"Hey Kevoooonnnn." Tara hissed through her pink braces.

"Um... " Kevon eyed up Tara's hideous outfit of a green hoodie, and matching green pants.

"I heard about the Peter Pan auditions today...hope you get the part!" She crossed her fingers and then high fived Tiffany.

"Hey Yoshanda!!" Tiffany chirped.

Yoshanda raised her eyebrows at Tiffany and Kevon wanted to smack Tiffany's fake face.

"What do you want you loser???" Yoshanda hissed at Tiffany.

Tiffany looked like she might cry then ran off to the bathroom. Kevon stifled a laugh.

"Let's blow this popsicle stand" Michelle cried, and with that the three of them marched off.

Kevon smirked, thinking about how awesome it had felt to put them in their place. But at the same time, Josh's hurt face popped into her mind. Kevon did her best to push the tears back. She did not have time this morning!

Preparations at the Biley household began at 10 a.m. sharp and Tiffany and Yoshanda had arrived half an hour before that. Yosh had told Tara and Michelle that she needed to get ready at home, and would meet them at Tara's house so her driver could bring them all together.

First to arrive was Kevon's hair stylist, Steve. He had been doing her hair for years, and she never let anyone else touch it! As if they would know how to make it look as good as he did.

He gave all the girls shampoos and conditioners suited to their hair types, and they took their turns in the shower. Kevon made sure to shave her legs carefully, she sure didn't want any knicks on her legs on such a big day! She had butterflies in her stomach already! Not those dumb princess butterflies, they would all be dead by the end of the evening anyway. The death of their social lives at least. Wrapping her auburn hair in a towel and slipping into her Chanel silk robe, Kevon walked out of the bathroom to join Yoshanda on the couch.

"Tiffany it's your turn now!" She called to her friend, who jumped up and squealed, grabbed the bottles from Steve and ran into the en-suite.

"You have everything for tonight ready?" Yoshanda asked her.

"As ready as it can be! I hope everything goes according to plan."

"Yeah me too! Fingers are definitely crossed."

After Kevon's hair had air dried most of the way, she hopped into the chair in front of Steve.

"I just want a sleek and bouncy blow out, with some wavy texture" she said.

"Oh yes, the Usual" Steve replied. "I got you girl, you know I always make you look fahbulous!"

He definitely had the magic touch! Kevon's hair fell just past her shoulders, slightly wavy with a shimmer that only came from Steve. After Tiffany and Yoshanda had taken their turns in the chair, they all peered into the large circular mirror over Kevon's west elm mid-century dresser. Tiffany's hair was straight, and with the help of strategic extensions, fell to her waist in one smooth sheet. Yoshanda had opted for tight curls, pulled up into a perfectly careless bun with some strands framing her face. The girls began taking selfies, although they didn't have any makeup on yet! These selfies would never see the light of day, but they were good to have as a memory.

Kevon's favorite makeup artist Stephanie arrived next, as did their take out sushi and salad deliveries. No one wanted to be bloated on such an important day after all!

"Steph! You have to come eat with us!" Kevon exclaimed as Stephanie walked in. It was always important to be kind to the help, especially those with access to your face.

"Thanks Kevon" smiled Stephanie. "I'm starving!"

They played some netflix in the background on Kevon's wall-mounted flat screen as they ate. Makeup was Kevon's favorite part! She loved Stephanie's light but flawless touch.

Perched on the stool facing the window, for the best lighting obviously, and still in her silk robe, Kevon closed her eyes and let Steph work her magic.

After a while, the makeup artist held a mirror up to Kevon's face nervously. She had no need to be anxious, she had done an ah-mazing job.

"Thank you so much! I look airbrushed! What foundation is that?"

Stephanie had made Kevon's skin look flawless but still glowy, and had made her round hazel eyes look huge with strategic eyeshadow and tasteful false eyelashes. Her lipstick was a perfect Louboutin red, that matched her strappy heels from the same brand. Once Tiffany and Yoshanda had finished, the real selfies could be taken. Tiffany had gone for light pink lipstick and Yosh a 90's nude color. They accessorized with diamond necklaces and glittery earrings, with silver hoops for Yoshanda.

After giving each other pedicures, it was time to have dinner. They ate steamed kale with a cold pesto pasta salad, and stalked everyone from their class on instagram, discussing who was going with who and what everyone might wear.

At 6 it was time to get dressed. They each took turns going into Kevon's walk in closet and emerging all ready to go. Yoshanda went first. The girls had all gotten their dresses from Nordstroms, as they had the best selection.

Yoshanda had chosen a navy blue velvet wrap dress, with spaghetti straps and little draped sleeves that exposed her shoulders. She had paired this with nude pumps from Stuart Weitzman. The girls all clapped as she walked down the pretend runway. They did the same as Tiffany emerged, in head to toe pink. She really knew her colour palette. Her dress was all baby pink lace, and midi length with delicate silk straps and a corset-like top. Her shoes were also pink, although a much deeper shade, and only a kitten heel as she was the tallest of the group.

Kevon finally emerged. She was sure she had found the perfect dress, after hunting through all of Nordstroms. And such a steal at only $4000! The dress was tight to her waist and flared out, hitting her just above the knees. It had three layers, the first a silky lining that made the skirt fuller. Next was a plain black sweetheart top dress that would have been stunning on its own. The part that made it special was the lace overlay, that made a V out to her shoulders and covered her arms to the elbows, with the skin peeking through. A silk ribbon finished the look, and she stepped into her heels that matched her lipstick. As she opened the closet door, everyone squealed!

Harvey honked outside, and so did Yoshanda's mom to take her to Tara's. The dance was about to begin.