Chapter Twenty-One | Fire Ceremony

My paws batted against the dusty ground. Nerves propelled each step, energy that intensified with the passing hours. I watched the sun melt into darkness ages ago, and now yellow light trickled through the grate. New day, same predicament.

A million questions raced through my mind. What was going on up there? How long would I be stuck down here? Would I ever be able to go home? Were they planning to kill me?

I never realized just how treacherous the Bermuda Triangle was. In a matter of weeks—at least, I assumed I'd been at sea for weeks—I faced death from mer-people, a sea serpent, a storm, and now a tribe. It seemed like no matter what I did, trouble ensued. I followed Virgo's directions to the Gemini, and I got locked up. I left an underground labyrinth and got bitten by a spider. I went to the Bahamas for a vacation and entered an underwater Kingdom. It just wasn't fair.

Deep breaths of musty air filled my lungs due to my increasingly heavy steps. Anxious energy gave way to exhaustion, amplified by the hunger that raked my belly. I plunked down on the stone floor. The impact sent darts of pain through my underside.

Couldn't they spare the tiniest morsel for me? Queen Tameki must have forgotten that dragons need some form of nourishment. Or perhaps she didn't want me to have any food. It would only strengthen me, a supposedly dangerous creature. If I wasn't so uptight, I probably would've laughed. The whole idea was preposterous. I couldn't even kill a spider in my bedroom.

My claw brushed the leather belt still fastened around my waist. At least the tribe didn't confiscate it. The dagger and all its pouches were intact, ready to be used in an emergency.

Recollection sparked in my brain. Wait, what am I thinking? I do have food! I tore out the kale stash Virgo prepared for me and shoveled it into my mouth. The leaves were slightly soft, the bitterness combated by a touch of salt. It was gone before I could consider rationing it, its last traces being the oil on my paws. My stomach begged for more. It considered the measly portion an appetizer, impossible to quench a day's worth of hunger.

To distract myself, I wondered why the tribe let me keep my belt. Weren't prisoners normally stripped of their belongings when they were taken captive?

I didn't get time to contemplate this question. Scraping metal rang in the stillness. My pulse quickened as footsteps clanked on the stairs. Four figures made a slow descent into the dim cave. A pale light beam streamed onto the solemn face of Abido.

"Abido!" I exclaimed.

The Wiseman glanced at me, then flicked his head toward the man behind him. Patterns swirled across the other man's arms. My excitement waned. It was Dranesh, likely accompanied by warriors.

The four reached the bottom of the steps, and the two unintroduced visitors rushed toward me, chains in hand. Iron jingled as it clamped around my paws, tight enough to constrict blood flow. The two warriors scurried to either side of Dranesh.

"Sorry," Abido said. "But they're afraid you're going to attack us while we're talking."

"It's okay. Can I have some food?" I asked.

Abido paused, evaluating my appearance. I must have looked a sight with my back hunched over, my heavy eyelids threatening to drop at any moment.

"I promise nothing, but I'll try," Abido said with a sigh. He mumbled something to Dranesh. The head warrior's eyes narrowed to slits. A few words barked from his throat, and one of the other warriors left the room.

"They're bringing you something," Abido said.

"Thank goodness," I gushed. "I'm afraid I might collapse if I don't eat."