Chapter Twenty-Six | Zooming through the Water

Icy water engulfed me, the chill so deep it penetrated my bones. I would've thought that the ocean was warm in June, but apparently not after eight hours without the sun. My teeth clattered, the only sound for miles, except for the slosh of the waves. Once again, I was alone at sea. Early this morning, after a light meal of fruit, I bid my goodbyes to King Jesole, Queen Tameki, and Abido and left while darkness still covered the forest.

I hadn't planned to leave before daybreak. But when I woke up and saw the sailor's star shining in the sky, I knew it was a sign. The sea had called me to this journey, and now the sky beckoned me home.

The sun's rays peeked from the horizon. It was a promise of the heat that would come as the day progressed. When I thought about it, I found it crazy that the day was only beginning. I felt like I'd been swimming for hours. My legs, stiff from the cold, kicked in painful jerks, and my arms burned with each stroke. For that reason, I welcomed the sunrise. A warmer temperature would speed up my travel.

But a full sun would also eclipse The Sailor's Star. I doubted that my celestial guide could compete with the day's brightness. Perhaps Pisces, Virgo, or even the Gemini will make the star visible.

Perhaps they could also provide a boat. As a self-sufficient island, the tribe didn't have any. I wished there was an ocean train or Uber service that could take me home in a flash. I should've asked Pisces about that. But then again, if that were a thing, Pisces or the Nereids probably would have informed me.

This whole situation was my fault. I should've thought through the details of my trip before swimming alone and exhausting myself. There were plenty of fallen branches in the forest to build a raft with. And I should've headed for Bermuda, not the Bahamas. But The Sailor's Star flooded me with so much hope, I couldn't bear to prolong my journey—even though I had little plan to act on.

My eyes glanced down at the water, though the opaqueness concealed what lay below. An awful feeling nagged my gut that some creature was about to attack my feet. With no air bubble, I couldn't dive below to see what lurked beneath the waves. I tried to focus on the path in front of me, the back-and-forth strokes pulling me forward, but concerns crawled back into my thoughts.

I hope this doesn't spoil the beach for me. Swimming was my favorite hobby. I loved the ocean as much as I loved my sister, and that was saying something. If this ruined one of the only comforts in my life, I'd be devastated. I'd have little left.

But deep inside, I knew that my only solace was the lull of the waves against my pruned-up skin. The water absorbed just enough tension to stave off a mental breakdown. It was a part of me, and I was closer to it than ever.

The longer I traveled, the more my nerves jittered in my veins. I couldn't swim for days. I doubted even the best swimmer could make it as far as I needed to go—however far it was. That was the worst part, feeling the infinite expanse between my sister and me. My limbs' tiny paddles did nothing to lessen it. I scanned the open sea for any sign of a boat or island. Surely I'd come across civilization at some point, where I could call for help.

Kiara! Cheer up! the dragon declared. You will get home one way or another.

If the sharks don't get me first, I thought.

They're no sharks. Just keep going, you'll make it.

I can't swim thousands of miles. I was already tired. A few more hours, and I'd pass out.

Of course you can! the dragon insisted.

I imagined two hands in my head and thrust them toward the dragon.

You can't shove me away, the dragon sang. I'll leave when I'm ready.

Go away.

Remember what Etyma gave you? the dragon continued.

Etyma. It seemed like ages passed since I last saw them. My heart sank at the memory. I desperately wished for some company other than that dragon.

Hey! the dragon exclaimed indignantly. I'm the one who reminded you of Etyma.

I know. Now I'm even more miserable. I'm all alone and going insane.

Do you remember what her gift was? the dragon asked.

Etyma's gift...wait! It was the sunshine in a jar. When opened, its essence attracted help. Maybe the Nereids, or even Pisces, would rescue me.

With shaking hands, I pulled the small jar from my belt. Heat reverberated from the ball of golden wisps, traveling through my palms and into my veins. It thawed the ice in my blood, the stiffness in my muscles and joints. My fingers unscrewed the lid, cautious to hold the jar so no wave splashed in. It would surely extinguish the precious light beams inside. The sun's essence flooded my nostrils, warm and sweet, like freshly baked sugar. My body went slack for a moment, and I had to force my legs to flutter in the water so I didn't sink.

Everything's going to be fine. I am going to make it home.

The heat molded into energy that rushed through my body. I felt the urge to go forward, to keep swimming around the entire Earth. I tightly sealed the jar again and replaced it in my belt. Help or no help, I could do this. I was going home.

Suddenly, something grazed my foot. My spirit morphed into terror. Slime snaked its way around my legs, and a scream ripped from my throat, slicing through the silence.

Rainbow serpent.

My heart pounded in my chest, the pulse of blood in my wrists. Am I going to die?

My fingers closed around my dagger, the engraved nubs indenting my skin. A red tentacle flew above the surface, headed for me. I lashed out, but it disappeared before the blade made contact.

Is that...an octopus?

Under the water, I glimpsed tentacles attached to an enormous red oval. It dragged me down until only my head poked above the ocean's surface.

"Help!"

There was no one for miles.

"Help!"

My arms thrashed against its rubbery body, but tentacles coiled around my upper body. It dashed forward, the ocean whipping against my neck.

This was it. I was about to become breakfast.

Etyma! I screamed internally. This is not my idea of help!

My eyes floated to the sky. The Sailor's Star was faint, but still visible. With a jolt, I realized the octopus was heading in the star's direction. As I gazed up, it flickered, just like it had the first night. Pisces had said that the Star was winking. He said I could trust it. Is the star winking at me now?

A sudden thought crossed my mind. Is...is this octopus trying to help me?

We made our way through the water faster than I ever could have swum. The octopus' grip wasn't tight enough to hurt me, only to carry me.

I...I think it is! I glanced up at the sky again. The star winked again. My lips edged into a smile. The warmth from the sun trickled into me again. Etyma didn't lie. The light did attract help, even if it was unconventional. I was going home.

Maybe sea creatures weren't as scary as we made them out to be. They were just unfamiliar, impossible to prepare for. The most fear-inducing was the uncertainty in possibility. But if we only understood them, then maybe they wouldn't be so bad.

Something clicked in my brain. I loved the ocean; animals were fascinating; Lani invited me to live with her in the Bahamas...

Could I actually make a career out of this? Was this the dream I'd been looking for all along? Excitement fizzed in my chest. Finally, I didn't feel clueless.

The only problem was Mom and Dad. They might protest if I suggested a switch in my major.

Well, it didn't hurt to ask.