Chapter 2

Castle Highcliff was an interesting sight.

It was reachable by only a narrow pathway that led over the cliffs below on three of the four sides. It was guarded at one end by two guards, and on the other by a portcullis.

In the far distance and to his right, Will could see a village. He hesitated. Of course, as a King's Ranger, he wasn't required to meet with the baron. It was a formality, and one that Rangers generally took at that. But Will served the King only, and therefore was by no means required to make his presence known in the fief.

Still, he wanted to start his mission on good terms, and that meant he should probably meet with the baron. Not to mention the fact that in the event of trouble, checking in with the baron would ensure that Halt, or whomever tried to find him, would know his whereabouts. At least, it would tell them that he had indeed made it to the fief.

Yes, Will thought. He would need to check in with the baron soon.

"Tomorrow," he muttered to himself, glancing at the slowly descending sun. His eyes trailed slowly back to the limp figure in front of him. Annalise had barely stirred at all since she'd fallen asleep hours ago. For a terrifying moment, Will had wondered if she'd simply collapsed and died in the saddle. But every so often, the girl would take a long, deep breath, and Will had eventually come to reason that she was simply too tired to remain awake.

Having made his decision, he tapped the reins on Tug's neck, sending the little horse at a brisk walk toward the village. Will frowned, hoping they made it before dark. If he'd been riding alone, there would be no question. As it was, he didn't want to risk waking Annalise. Or worse, risk her falling from the saddle. He would have to keep Tug at a walk.

As he rode, he let his mind wander, though he never dropped his guard. He'd brought the briefing papers along with him, thinking he may want to review the details of the mission.

Not that there were many details. All he had been told was that an unnamed scholar from Redmont had been sent on a solo mission to Highcliff. His first solo mission, much like Will's now. Ironic, he thought, that his first solo mission had been to rescue someone else from their first solo mission.

Even to an apprentice Ranger, Nigel, the head scholar at Redmont, refused to give away what his scholar's mission had been. Which told Will two things. First, whatever it was must have either been extremely classified or it might have been a possible hoax that Nigel didn't want to be leaked, else his institution be made to look like a joke.

And secondly, Will would be riding in the dark on this mission. Something that was, unfortunately, fairly common in Will's line of work.

"That's why they pay us Rangers the big money," he said to himself, smiling ruefully. Sometimes, he thought, the big money wasn't enough for the things he went through. Namely, being apprenticed to Halt O'Carrick for five years. It was going to take several years of "big money" payment to make up for that, Will thought, chuckling lowly.

Will shifted uncomfortably in his saddle. Under normal circumstances, he could ride for days without too much suffering. With another person in the saddle, however, the task became more difficult.

Sensing his discomfort, Tug snorted and shook his mane.

How do you think I feel?

Will rolled his eyes, a smile playing on his lips.

"You're fine," he told the little horse. "She's not that heavy."

Tug snorted again.

She's not the one I was complaining about.

Will instantly frowned, pushing his bottom lip out. He glared angrily at Tug as the little horse whinnied in a way that sounded suspiciously like a laugh.

"Oh come off it," Will snapped, and Tug whinnied once more. Will shook his head. He was never going to get the last word with his horse.

He turned his gaze back to the path, trying to focus on the colors of the sunset. His mind was somewhat distracted, however.

Don't do it, he told himself. He's just going to laugh if you do it. Don't do it.

Finally unable to control his impulse any longer, Will glanced down at his stomach. It was just as flat and, underneath his jerkin, toned and muscular, as it had always been. Still, the thought of his being heavy plagued his mind. He used one hand to poke his stomach unhappily.

Tug nickered, and Will glanced suspiciously up at him. The horse had one eye turned toward his master, regarding him with nothing less than amusement.

Will set his jaw, promptly ignoring Tug's teasing expression.

Soon enough, they rode into the little town. A cool breeze blew in from the sea, and Will smelled the salty air. It was a pleasant smell, and he thought that he wouldn't mind living somewhere with such a smell.

The village was small, with only a few houses. There was still a tavern, however, as well as an inn. It was the latter that Will headed to now, stopping Tug just outside.

"Okay," he said, clearly unsure of how to go about getting Annalise inside. He didn't particularly want to wake the resting girl, but he also didn't want to draw any more attention to himself than he had to. And walking into an inn carrying a girl, he thought, was a good way to turn heads.

Carefully, he shook Annalise's shoulder. She stirred slightly, turning to one side and curling up against Will's chest.

Will's body went rigid, and he held his breath.

"Uh," he said slowly, blushing at the girl's new position. Shaking his head to clear the fog, he shook the girl's shoulder again, a little rougher this time. "Annalise?"

This time, the girl's head popped up. She took once look at her hand resting on Will's chest, clutching his jerking in her sleep, and shot up straight. Even in the dimmed sunlight, Will could see her blush.

"S-Sorry," she said, and Will cleared his throat, ignoring the apology.

"We're here," he said instead, both surprised and thankful that his voice didn't show how uncomfortable he had been moments ago.

Annalise glanced around her.

"Where is 'here'?" she asked. Will noticed with a great deal of interest that she still would not meet his gaze. His heart lurched in sympathy. Whatever had happened to this girl, it was clearly enough to shake her to her very core.

Will took hold of her hand, helping her to dismount. Then he did so himself.

"It's a village right near Castle Highcliff," he told her, absently fondling Tug's ear. "I'm not really sure what it's called. We can stay here at the inn tonight-"

"Together?" Annalise's voice suddenly asked, a mixture of horror and embarrassment. Will felt himself flush in embarrassment as well at the suggestion, and he shook his head hurriedly.

"No, not together!" he replied, a little more forcefully than he'd meant. He took a second or two to regain his composure, then went on. "I have enough money to pay for two rooms. You can get as much sleep as you need. In the morning, though, I'd like to talk to you."

Annalise dropped her eyes to the dirt path in that shy way she had about her. She drew in the dirt with the toe of her boot distractedly.

"About what?" she asked, rather sheepishly. Will cocked an eyebrow.

"About who you were running from," he replied, though he'd thought that had been obvious. What else would he have wanted to discuss? "I think you may have valuable information. I'm here on a mission, and I think whatever it is you've seen may help me."

Annalise hesitated before finally nodding. Will watched her for several seconds. He decided he would need to keep on eye on her. He had the sneaking feeling that she might try to run away, and he needed the information she had to give him a lead.

"Let's go inside and grab a bite before we go on to bed," he said. Then, noticing the flush in Annalise's cheeks at his word, he added, "in separate rooms."