Chapter 36

They rode into the familiar clearing that marked Old Bob's land. It was large, with rolling fields surrounded by the deep, thick forest. A small barn sat beside the squat little farm house.

"Never fails to make me smile when we ride up here," Will said, more to himself than to Halt. Still, the older Ranger turned to look at him with a raised eyebrow. Will realized he'd spoken out loud and decided to elaborate.

"It reminds me of the day I got Tug," he said, patting the little gray horse's neck affectionately.

Halt watched the two with mild interest. He could remember the day he got Abelard himself, as well as the day he had the privilege of watching Gilan get Blaze, and Will get Tug. He had to admit that the instant bond between a Ranger and his horse was a unique experience that never failed to amaze him.

"Hello the farmhouse!" Will called, and Halt felt a small smile playing on his lips. It was a phrase he'd used multiple times in the past, and it amused him to see that Will had taken to using it himself.

Almost as soon as Will called, a door creaked open and a crooked, wiry man with wispy hair and a toothy grin came waddling out.

"Well if it ain't Halt and young Will!" Old Bob cried in joy. "What can I do ya for?"

Halt and Will exchanged amused glances. Old Bob sometimes had his own sense of grammar. It was a characteristic that set him apart from many other people. One never forgot the voice or the phrases of Old Bob.

"Just thought we'd bring the horses by for a check up," Halt informed him. "Will here is nearing the end of his apprenticeship, and I thought it might be wise to have Tug checked on one last time before he heads off to a new fief."

Old Bob swung his easy gaze around to look at Will. Though Bob had been serving the Ranger Corps for years, he never forgot a face. Especially the fresh, lively young face of this young man. He remembered the day he'd come to him, eagerly bouncing at the prospect of getting his own horse.

Now, he sat coolly atop that horse, but the amusement that had been there five years ago was still shining brightly in his eyes. Bob was glad to see that.

"I can do that," Old Bob finally said, motioning for the two Rangers to dismount. "And I'll give Abelard a check while I'm at it."

Halt nodded as he dismounted.

"I would appreciate it," he said.

Bob watched curiously as Will hesitated. Then, slowly and awkwardly, he dismounted on the wrong side of Tug. Bob frowned.

"I hope you haven't been letting him keep that habit up for these five years," Bob told Halt teasingly. Then to Will he said, "forget which side of the horse you mount on, did ya?"

Will grinned at Old Bob's good natured joke.

"Of course not," he replied with a smile. "I've just been having trouble with this left leg and can't dismount on that side quite yet."

Old Bob frowned. Trouble mounting properly could lead to issues in the midst of a fight.

"What sort o' trouble?" he queried. Will regarded him closely, finally realizing that Bob was concerned for his well-being. He smiled reassuringly, waving away his concern.

"Nothing permanent," he replied, but Bob noticed a strange catch in his voice. When Will turned his attention back to Tug, limping around the horse, Bob turned to question Halt. But the grizzled old Ranger didn't notice Bob's look, as he was watching his apprentice closely and with an air of concern.

Old Bob hesitated. Then he shrugged. He wasn't one to take part in this. If Will said he was fine, then he was fine. Halt's expression did leave room for concern, but then again, if the older Ranger wasn't troubled enough to force Will to stay at home, then Old Bob was content to take Will at his word.

"Well I'll take these two out to my work shop and look 'em over. Help yourselves to some coffee in the kitchen."

Halt nodded his thanks, but Will's eyes flashed with a curious light.

"Actually, Bob," he began slowly. "I was rather wondering if I could take a look at some of the other horses."

Halt and Bob both frowned deeply at Will's words.

"Surely you're not thinking of tradin' out ol' Tug here?" Bob asked, a hint of disapproval in his voice. Will's eyes widened at the suggestion. Nearby, Tug whinnied fiercely.

"Of course not!" Will cried, settling Tug with a hand on his neck. "I would never give Tug up!"

Without looking at each other, Halt and Old Bob simultaneously nodded their approval.

"I just find the process of how you breed our horses fascinating, is all," Will continued to explain. "And I always like to marvel at the differences among these fine animals."

Bob cocked his head to the side in interest. He'd never had a Ranger speak so much truth before about his work as the Corps' breeder. He liked the way Will told it, and the way he gave credit to both Bob and the horses.

Old Bob smiled cheerfully.

"Well in that case, have yourself a look-see!" he exclaimed. "I've got a new batch in the barn. Take a look!"

"Thanks!" Will said as he limped away a few paces.

"Will," Halt's voice warned. Will turned back, already nodding.

"I promise I won't overdo it," he said, knowing exactly what Halt was about to say. Halt waited, eyeing his impulsive apprentice closely before finally nodding in satisfaction. Then he made his way into Old Bob's farmhouse to start brewing the coffee.

Will made his way slowly and carefully into the barn. He remembered years ago, when he'd been so excited to meet his new horse. Now, he was simply eager to see the different choices Bob had. None of them, he thought to himself, could ever compare to Tug anyway.

As the animals heard him, three heads stuck out of their stalls curiously. Will approached the first stall and leaned heavily on the door as he fondled the horse's muzzle. She was a deep, chocolate brown. Her mane was midnight black, and shaggier than most Ranger's horses.

Down the line, Will saw a solid white horse with a unique colored eye. It was brown, like most horses' eyes were, but this horse had a lighter color to its eyes, almost amber. It was strange.

The third horse, Will initially thought to be solid black. But as he peered closer, he could see irregular white spots as well. It was a piebald, he noticed with a smile. He'd always found those rather beautiful.

"My, you're a sight, aren't you?" he muttered to the little horse. At that very moment, unseen by Will, Old Bob walked in. He heard Will talking and glanced up from where he had retrieved the tool he used to clean the horses' hooves with. He followed Will's line of sight to the piebald horse.

"That's a unique 'un, there," he said. Will turned a curious gaze to Bob.

"He's beautiful, I'll give him that."

Bob nodded. "That he is. But he ain't ready just yet. Lot 'a cross breeding to be done with his line. Maybe in twenty or twenty-five years, I'll have the perfect one..."

Will balked at the words.

"It really takes that long?" he wondered aloud. Bob nodded dramatically.

"Oh yes," he said confidently. "These horses are as close to perfect as they come. It takes years an' years to get all the qualities we want in one."

Will turned a marveling gaze back to the black and white paint.

"What's this one's name?" he asked. Bob smiled fondly at the horse.

"That 'un I call Nudge, on account o' the fact that he likes to push ya around if you ain't careful. I'm curious to see if that rubs off on his descendants..."