Chapter 6

Halt ran a hand through his graying hair, blowing out a sigh as he did.

The heavy silence that had been over his cabin in Will's absence for the past month was beginning to weigh on Halt's heart. What was more, the thought that his life would soon return to this on an every day basis when Will graduated gave Halt little peace.

"Focus on the good," he muttered, repeating Pauline's words for the thousandth time since he had shared coffee with her that night. "The good, the good, the good."

He repeated the last two words as he looked around the kitchen area in the cabin for his favorite mug. Finally finding it, he poured himself a cup of freshly brewed coffee, leaning against his window as he dropped a bit of honey into the liquid. A small smiled played on his lips as he remembered the shock and joy he'd felt when Pauline had admitted to enjoying the very same thing.

Then, he remembered her surprise at hearing that Halt had picked the decorative flowers on his windowsill himself, rather than Will, and frowned. Why was that so hard to believe? Halt could be a pleasant person. He could enjoy the natural beauties in life.

What he didn't consider is that, while he knew those things about himself, his unfriendly and closed-off nature made it near impossible for others to believe such things about him.

Shrugging, the Ranger cleaned his now empty mug and returned it to the shelf he'd gotten it from. He moved outside, grabbing his longbow and quiver as he went. Rounding the edge of the cabin, he called to his horse in greeting.

"Morning, Abelard," he said. The little horse whinnied in reply to his master's voice. Halt saddled the horse quietly, mounting when he'd finished.

Abelard nickered.

Where we going?

"We're going where I tell you," Halt replied matter-of-factly. Abelard tossed his head, and Halt couldn't help but smile.

Not with that attitude we're not.

The little horse stopped cold, as if Halt had given him a warning to be still. Which, Halt mused, he hadn't.

For a moment, Halt was rendered shocked. Finally, he rolled his eyes in surrender.

"Oh, all right," he conceded, slapping the reins to the horse's neck. "We're going to the village. I need a few things for the cabin, and I'm tired of the silence."

You? Tired of peace and quiet? That's all you ever ask for.

Halt frowned.

"That's not true."

Is so.

"Whatever," Halt growled, slumping in the saddle. Sometimes, he thought moodily, his horse could be quite annoying.

____________________

Wensley Village was bustling with business in the early morning. Mostly, there were woman roaming about, doing the shopping for their families before their children woke up. Some men, however, could be seen slipping to and from the tavern. Privately, Halt shook his head. It was much too early for a drink, in his opinion.

"Good morning, Ranger," A fair voice said from behind Halt. He turned in the saddle to see a pretty young blonde staring up at him with a bright smile.

"Alyss," he said, clearing his throat as his voice came out thick with hoarseness. "Morning to you as well."

Alyss regarded him closely, taking in the sacks at Abelard's side.

"Shopping for supplies, I see?"

Halt raised an eyebrow in appreciation at her observation. Sometimes he forgot that it wasn't just Rangers who were trained in such a skill. He nodded grimly.

"Specifically for coffee," he told her plainly. Alyss let a soft chuckle escape her lips.

"No surprise there, Ranger," she said kindly, and Halt almost smiled in return. He knew that a Ranger's love for coffee was no secret to those who had spent more than a day with them. With Alyss being so close to Will, of course the young Courier would know of he and Will's near obsession of the dark liquid.

"Well then," Alyss said politely, smiling at Halt once more. "I should let you get on your way."

Halt nodded, but something stopped him from turning back toward the village. It had been a month since he'd had conversation with a young soul. Even his stubborn mind couldn't deny the fact that he was enjoying the discussion.

"What brings you to the village this morning?" Halt asked in an attempt to prolong the conversation. Alyss saw through to the real meaning of Halt's question, knowing the man was in desperate desire of company, and obliged politely.

"Lady Pauline asked me to fetch some parchment for her," she replied softly. "I wanted to be in the fresh air for a while, by any means. These last months of apprenticeship have me inside more than out. It gets a bit stuffy."

Halt nodded, knowing exactly what the young girl was feeling.

"Fresh air is always a good way to clear your head," he commented, and it was Alyss' turn to nod.

"Will showed me that," she said, and for a moment, neither of them added to the conversation. Then, her smile fading in a rare expression of concern, Alyss asked, "have you heard from him?"

Wishing he could ease the young girl's worry, but not wanting to lie to her, Halt shook his head regretfully.

"It's only been a month," he told her confidently. "It takes a little over a week to get to Highcliff. And he wasn't given much information, so he'll likely still be digging around for a lead."

Alyss nodded, allowing the Ranger's words to comfort her. Still, she'd grown extremely close to, and rather fond of, Will over the years. She would feel much better when he was safe at home. Although, she thought briefly, the time that a Ranger spent safe at home was next to nothing.

"Well perhaps he will sent a message soon to update you," she said hopefully. "I must be getting this back to Lady Pauline now. I'll tell her you say hello, if you wish?"

Halt nodded, though he was slightly distracted now.

"Yes, please," he said nonetheless. "Give her my greetings. Take care, Alyss."

"You as well, Ranger."

As the two parted ways, Halt continued on through the village, his mind heavier than when he'd first arrived. Something Alyss had said began to bother him, worming a shred of worry in his mind.

Why hadn't Will sent a letter, if for no other reason than to update Halt that he had arrived safely? Perhaps something had happened.

Or perhaps he found an early lead and has been too busy to ease your worrisome mind, Halt thought, chastising himself. He shook his head to clear it, scratching his unkempt beard roughly.

He decided that he didn't much like this part of mentoring. It had been much easier with Gilan, Halt thought, and he dully wondered why that was so. Perhaps because Gilan's fifth year mission had included a bit more detail, which comforted Halt.

Or more likely, though Halt would never admit it, because the old Ranger had come to view Will  quite differently than he had Gilan. Halt had been close to, fond of, and cared deeply for Gilan, yes. But over the years Will had become more than Halt's apprentice. There was a small dose of unreasonable concern that he felt for the young man, beyond that of practical worry. It was strange.

Again, Halt shook his head to clear it.

"Enough," he muttered to himself. "I need more coffee. That's it. That's what's wrong."

However, a small shred of doubt was still left in his mind, and he could feel it tugging at his heart.