Chapter 37

"Once more."

Halt had repeated those two words so many times throughout the day that they were beginning to lose their meaning. Still, Will took one deep breath before moving to gather his knives.

Earlier that morning, Will had shot for hours. Then he'd practiced his silent and unseen movements. Then he'd been given an hour's rest for lunch, which had passed quickly. After that, Halt had given him a few light chores before the two went for a long run. After returning, Will had immediately been sent to practice throwing his knives.

Without complaint, he took his place once again on one of the many spots where he was to practice throwing them at their target. He chose a greater distance. Taking one last breath to focus his mind, he rolled his shoulders. Then with a speed so instant it could've been missed in a blink, he flung the throwing knife. It landed squarely in the middle of its target. Seconds later, Will had rolled away to a new spot a few meters away and come back up to kneel, flinging his saxe after the first knife. It, too, struck its mark perfectly.

Will stood, brushing the dirt from his breeches, and turned to look at Halt expectantly. The grizzled Ranger was leaning against one of the posts on the veranda, watching closely.

He waited a few seconds, letting Will reflect on his own progress first. Finally, the apprentice raised his eyebrows.

"Well?"

Halt regarded him easily.

"Well?" He repeated carefully. Will gestured to the targets.

"How did I do?" he asked.

Halt raised an eyebrow.

"How did you do?"

He changed the emphasis to land on the word "did" so that he was repeating Will's question in a way hat suggested Will should answer it for himself. It was part of Halt's new tactic, Will had noticed. Now that Will's training was nearing its end, Halt wanted Will to learn to rely on his own judgement, not his mentor's. After all, Halt wouldn't always be around for Will to look to.

What the grizzled Ranger didn't realize was that Will often answered those questions by asking himself "what would Halt think?" In a way, Halt would always be around for Will, in his mind and his training.

As Will asked himself that very question, he nodded to himself.

"I did well," he decided. "Doesn't mean I can slack off on practicing, though."

It was exactly the kind of response Halt would've given him. Halt, however, simply kept his eyebrow raised as he stared at Will, attempting to make the boy second guess himself. Confidence, Halt knew, was a fundamental lesson that Will needed to remember.

And Will didn't fail now. Despite Halt's expression, Will remained steady in his answer. Finally, Halt nodded approvingly.

"Good man," he said, and Will's face broke into a smile.

"So you think I'm ready?" he asked eagerly. Halt, who had turned to go inside, turned back to Will. He raised an eyebrow again. Will smiled as he practically read his mentor's thoughts.

"I'm ready," he decided. Again, Halt nodded. Will followed his mentor inside and they sat together at the dining table.

There was a companionable silence before Will glanced up at Halt.

"Coffee?"

Halt grunted.

"About time you asked."

Will laughed, shaking his head as he stood and moved to the kitchen to brew the beverage. As he worked, Halt took the chance to revel in how much Will had grown.

All too well, Halt could remember the day Will had arrived at his cabin, young and small and nearly overflowing with curiosity and energy. Over the past five years, Will had certainly grown, and not just physically.

Of course, the boy had grown into a young man, gaining several inches in height as well as muscling up. But he had also grown intellectually. He was no longer bubbling over with uncontainable energy. Of course, that part of him remained, although Will could now control it. In fact, those characteristics were what Halt had first known would make Will an excellent Ranger. Though Halt often teased Will for his energetic questions, he would hate to see that part of Will go away. It made the young man who he was.

But Will had also gained confidence. He didn't need Halt to tell him what to do any longer. He possessed the knowledge and ability to assess situations and act appropriately.

In short, he was everything and more than Halt had seen in him for years.

"Careful," Will said, setting a cup of steaming coffee in front of Halt. The warning had been unnecessary, but Will hadn't really thought about it. It was natural to warn someone before handing them something hot.

He sat across from Halt once more, and the two sipped their coffee silently. Finally, Halt ventured to voice what he'd been meaning to say for weeks.

"Will..." he began slowly. Will glanced at him over his cup, and Halt continued. "I've been meaning to tell you this for sometime, but I've just never gotten to it. Too busy with last minute training, I suppose..."

Halt hesitated, and Will sat his cup down. He crossed his arms on the table and leaned forward.

"What is it?" he asked his mentor, knowing Halt wouldn't continue until he was prompted. When things got sentimental, Halt tended to freeze up.

"I'm... well, I'm sorry that I let Crowley send you on that mission," he said softly. "I had a bad feeling about it from the beginning, when you were given so little information. But I had trusted Crowley's judgement. Not that I'm saying that was a mistake, I don't blame Crowley for what happened. If anything, I blame myself. You are my responsibility, after all."

Will shook his head, holding up a hand to stop Halt from continuing his apology.

"There's no need for that, Halt," he assured the man quickly. "It was my mission. There may not have been a lot of information to begin with, but that's how Rangers' jobs usually start. As for what happened to me on the mission, no one could've foreseen that the Outsiders, whoever they are, were involved."

Halt hesitated, casting a doubtful glance in Will's direction. Will smiled reassuringly.

"Besides," he said, "my leg is fine, just like you said it would be. All it needed was a few months to heal. You were right."

The last words had the exact effect that Will had known they would. His ego slightly boosted, Halt finally accepted Will's words.

"Of course I was right," he said gruffly. "I usually am."

"But not always," Will couldn't help but add. Halt glared at him.

Will just winked. After all, he would be moving out in a few weeks. No need to fear Halt's reprimand now.