Chapter 34

Gilan helped Will sink onto the sofa where Halt had instructed Will to sit. As soon as his bottom hit the seat, Will sighed and stretched his leg out in front of him on the floor.

"Thanks, Gil," he said. The tall Ranger nodded grimly.

"You sure you're alright?" he asked, clearly worried for Will. Will shrugged his concern away with a quick nod.

"I'm sure. Thanks."

The door creaked as Halt opened it. He'd stopped outside to wet a rag in the barrel that he and Will kept on the edge of the roof. Rain water dripped into the barrel so that the two had a constant supply of fresh water. Now, he brought the wet cloth to Will.

"Here," he said plainly. "For that sweating face of yours. Don't want you sweating on my couch."

Will took the cloth silently, dabbing it to his face. He could tell by Halt's tone that the grizzled old man was upset with him for ignoring his warnings to take a break. But he wasn't sure what else to say to the man right now. Better to let him stew, Will thought. He'd learned from past experiences that Halt wasn't easy to recon with when he was in an ill mood.

But Halt's next words surprised Will.

"Look at me, Will."

It was the gentle tone that shocked Will so much. He looked up at Halt obediently and saw a surprising amount of care in his typically dangerous, dark brown eyes.

"Are you alright?" Halt asked. "And don't lie to me."

Will hesitated. He was in pain, and a great deal of it. But he hadn't felt any major sensations when his leg had buckled, nothing that suggested further damage had been done. Finally, he answered Halt slowly.

"I think so," he replied. "It hurts like the dickens, but I don't think anything is wrong. I just did too much too fast, is all."

Halt considered him carefully. Gilan, who was still lingering by Will's side, glanced between the two quietly. Finally, Halt nodded.

"Good," he said. He turned away toward the small kitchen area, immediately brewing some coffee.

"Some for me as well?" Will asked hopefully. Halt turned a baleful gaze on his apprentice.

"Coffee is for those who are wise enough to listen to their mentors," he shot back. Then he turned to Gilan. "Care for a cup?"

Gilan had to smile at Halt's tease.

"Don't mind if I do," he replied. As Halt turned back to the stove, Gilan caught Will glaring at him.

"Why are you still here anyways?" the young apprentice queried starkly. Gilan chuckled.

"Don't be that way," he retorted. "And anyways, I was going to leave tomorrow."

Gilan's words sank in, and Will frowned. Truthfully, he'd enjoyed having Gilan around for the past month while they had been on the mission, and he had equally enjoyed Gilan's stay at Redmont. Of course, he knew his friend would have to leave eventually, but that didn't make the moment any less disappointing.

Suddenly, Will became aware of the fact that Gilan was smirking at him. He rolled his eyes and carefully shifted to a more comfortable position on the couch. He winced as he moved his leg, unavoidably tensing the throbbing calf muscle.

"How long did you say this would last?" he asked aloud. Halt turned with three coffee mugs in hand, passing them around the group. Will blew gratefully on his mug, glad that Halt hadn't followed through with his threat to withhold the beverage from him.