05 - The traveler

After the very first expedition Nuffink made outside of New Berk, only one year was enough to make him a hardened explorer. He had discovered several unknown islands and a few new species of dragons, especially towards west but also south from the Hidden World's entrance. That even lead to creating a second tome of the Dragon Manual.

His favorites discoveries were the Misty Fright, a cousin specie from the Smothering Smoke-Breath, as tall as Razorwhips, which could breath out a toxic and thick black smoke ; but also this dragon specie capable of creating tornados to travel faster he had called the Unholy Howling.

He had never felt as alive as he was now, and every new expedition was making him want more, making him travel farther and farther every time. The longest journey he had made had lead him to the rock-barreer located in the farthest part of the archipelago, where he had first met the Misty Fright and had stayed to study them for two months.

Even if his parents were only seeing him when he was back to New Berk, he used to send them letters every week without failure. Each letter was entertaining them with the story of his travels, some part of his studies of the dragons, some drawings and even maps sometimes. He was counting how it was exalting for him and used to make them laugh with a few anecdotes about him and Pouncer. Nothing could match the happiness of seeing him face to face when he was visiting on New Berk, still the countless letters were enough to reassure his family and friends about his wereabouts.

Usually, when he was coming back to his birth island, he wasn't staying long. A few days, a week, a month at most. He was catching up with his friends, entertaining the vikings with his stories. His parents, sister and friends were glad to see him that lively, he had never been so happy before.

Igvid and him had reconcile a few months after his second departure, and their friendship had slowly went back to what it was. Nuffink thought it was thanks to her he had his revelation, so he felt liable to her and wanted to pay her back. He didn't know how exactly, but that didn't mean he was going to give up soon.

* * *

When the sun had risen on Berk, the vikings had noticed the thick blanket of clouds on the sky. Still, noone had been expecting the heavy rain coming down in latter morning. It was so heavy and fierce it forced even the boldest vikings to get back home and gather around the fireplace. Only Gobber was still out, working in the smithy as usual.

It was so dark he had to light up some lanthern. Even if his apprentice had left a few hours ago, he could rely on Grump to keep him company, even if the dragon was taking a nap.

The sounds of hammer hitting metal were echoing in the building and the streets, the fire was whistling, the dragon was snoring, the water was pourring loudly and ticking on the roof... All of this created a cacophony turning the black-smith deaf.

However, despite all of this, he swore he heard other noises coming from near by. A soft thump, some grumblings and gruntings, footsteps in the water, and the noises a dragon was making when shaking his back to get rid of the water.

Gobber stopped his work and listened closely, curious to know who was crazy enough to get out with such a rain. Was it the Thorston twins pulling a prank ? It didn't sound like them, there was no snickering not fighting. And when he heard a voice, he knew it wasn't them.

''Quite the welcome party.'' Someone mumbled.

Another grunt from the dragon seemed to reply to the voice.

''Yeah, I know pal, I wasn't missing Berk's rain either. Come on, let's get home to dry off, I bet they're not expecting to see us.''

This time, the dragon chortled, then the footsteps received. By the time Gobber reached the smithy's doors, the incomers had already left, he couldn't even get a glimpse of them. Still, he had recognized Nuffink's voice.