12 - Treasure hunters

Nuffink was assaulted by conflicting thoughts by hearing Frost's tale. He couldn't help but frown in a mixture of sadness and anger. Sadness for Frost, and anger for the merman's brothers.

He had happened to complain about his protective sister who was mothering him, but he swore he would never slander her again, she was adorable compared to these Cörail and Limönn. Even if Limönn wasn't as mean as Cörail, the fact he was never stepping in for Frost made him as bad. And the way his father would forbid him to get out... Nuffink didn't know what to think of this.

Frost had implied it was because of his mother's death his father was that protective, but it was too much. He barely paid attention to the fact that Frost was actually the prince of Santaklaussen, because he was too revolted. It was obvious that this situation was difficult for the young merman, and that he was feeling lonely. Very lonely. He only had his father, his brothers, the healer and a few guards, but he didn't know anyone else and only had Baby Tooth as friend. It was no wonder he was so eager to spend entire days with the viking and the dragons.

Nuffink could understand his loneliness, even if he had a bunch of friends back on Berk. He could understand this loneliness because it reminded him of what he had been through because of Avock. Granted, the situations were not the same, but the pain was. Both had felt helpless and like they had noone to turn to, noone to understand them.

Hense the viking forgot all his uncertainties and hindrances, he only thought about a way to comfort the merman. After a long moment of pure silence between the end of Frost's tale and the viking's reaction, he leant above the edge of the barque and wrapped his arms around the merman.

He didn't care for getting his armor wet, he hugged the chilly body against his chest and burried his nose in the snow-white hair. He felt Frost stiffen, then relax in his embrance.

''It's gonna be alright, Frost. You're not alone. I'm here, now.''

He heard a sob escaping the merman, then a slight pressure around his middle indicated him Frost was squeezing back. It made him rail against his armor again. They stayed in each other's arms for a long while, the viking let the merman cry out on his shoulder, holding close his wet and shaking body, gently rubbing his back though he was cautious of the fin there.

He held him with patience, fighting against the urge to keep him in his arms forever. He didn't pay attention to the dragons and beluga watching them, he barely heard their low whines. He only focused on comforting Frost.

When the merman finally managed to calm down, the viking hugged him a little bit longer and had to force himself to let go. He still kept his hands on his shoulders and smiled softly, watching him wipe his pale face. He noticed there was nacre residues on his cheeks instead of tears. It almost looked like the sparkling dust on butterfly wings. Almost. Or more like liquid shell, as weird as it could sound. Frost wiped his face with his arm before looking guiltily at the viking's shoulder, which he wiped too.

''Sorry, I spilled it all over you,'' he whispered.

Nuffink looked at his shoulder and saw that, indeed, it was covered with the same residues. Was it the merman's tears ? He ran his hand on it, straining his glove with the fluid, and looked at it.

''What is it ?''

Frost raised his eyebrows, as if the viking's question was silly. ''Huh... tears ?'' He said, sounding as if it was obvious.

''Funny... Human tears are nothing like this.''

''Aren't they ?''

It was the merman's turn to be astounded. Nuffink looked back at him and gently wiped some remaining silver droplets on his pale cheek, the merman stiffening and blushing to the touch.