19 - New experiences

''I have to say, you're doing better than I expected.''

Nuffink was smiling looking Frost on Pouncer's saddle. It was the first day they had started training on the ground, and the boy was already managing to remain on the saddle for five whole minutes without falling.

''It won't take too long before you would be able to fly.''

''Wouh ouh !'' The boy cheered, lifting his arms with proud and victory. ''How many time, you think ?''

Nuffink couldn't hold back his smile and shook his head in amusement. From where did that boy was getting all these enthusiasm and energy ? It was just limitless.

''I'd say a couple of days, but if you're that eager, I can always tie you to the saddle.''

''Really ? What are we waiting for, then ?''

The viking laughed, then he picked up some ropes and walked to the side of his dragon.

''Stand up, pal, I'll tie Mister I-Can't-Wait.''

Pouncer warbbled and got to his feet since he had sat at one point. The movement shook Frost and almost dropped him from the saddle. He held on the handles and just barely avoid to slip on the side. While Nuffink was tying his thin legs, he could feel how impatient the boy was, he was literally bouncing on spot.

Such eagerness was really new to Nuffink, it filled him with proud for the dragons and it encouraged him to show more things to the boy. Before meeting the merman, he was used to almost force the students at the Academy to make exercices when they were too young to actually ride a real dragon, but Frost was more the type to always ask more. Plus, it allowed them to spend a lot of time together.

When the knots were tied and secured, the viking mounted his dragon, just in front of the boy.

''How is it, up there ?'' Frost asked. ''Is it as amazing as I think it is ?''

Without realising, his smile dropped. He had spent many years looking up at the sky and the dragon soaring in it, wondering what it felt like to fly, and now he was finally going to know. But what if it was not what he had expected ? What if reality couldn't match his expectations ? His sudden thoughtfulness wasn't unoticed by the viking, who smiled tenderly. He hold back from the urge to plant a kiss on the tip of his pale nose.

''It's even better, you could be surprised. Maybe you'll be scared at first, but I can assure you, you'll never want to get back down after this. It's like sailing in the middle of an ocean made of clouds.''

For Nuffink, comparing the sky with the ocean seemed the best way to reassure Frost, though he was worried that could trigger the boy's nostalgia and homesickness.

''And the wind in your face and hair... It's simply fantastic. I don't know any better sensation in this world.''

Save from having the former-merman so close to him, but there was no way he was going to tell him this.

Frost noticed the dreamy smile on the viking's lips, which made him smile too. Since he didn't know what was really going on in the viking's mind, he was convinced it was flying making him that dreamy. And if he was that dreamy, the merfolk prince knew he had been right to dream of flying all these years.

So he adjusted his sitting position.

''Some tips for me ?''

''Since it's your first flight, don't look down.''

''Why ?''

''We don't really pay attention to altitude when we fly, so looking down and seeing the distance to the ground can spook or make you sick.''