30 - Trust

Several hours had elapsed since the end of the dragon riders training, though some were still at the Academy. Indeed, Nuffink had not moved and was still keeping company to the Night Lights. As to Birdlegs, she was taking her time to tidy her belongings and make sure she was not forgetting one of her father's books about dragons. She had put the last one in her satchel when she finally noticed her blond friend was staring intently at the entrance.

He had started to pace around, then had searched something to keep himself busy. He had been shining the same dagger for the last ten minutes. He was shining it that much he was actually sandpapering the blade.

''Nuffink ? Are you okay ?''

''They're taking too much time, don't you think ?'' He grumbled.

''Igvid and Frost ? Don't worry, they surely are still patching things up. It had been a while since Igvid was uneasy with him.''

'' 'Uneasy' ?'' Nuffink mused.

The young viking was surprised to see how Birdlegs was neutral in all of this, managing to support the couple and Igvid at the same time. She really was a good friend, and someone they could rely on.

''You're really a good person, Birdlegs.''

She looked up at him, blinking owlishly, only to find a smile. She was not used to be praised, as she had always been the shy type, but she accepted the compliment and smiled back.

''If you're that worried, you can still go fetch them.'' She teased.

''I don't know... I don't want to interrupt them. I'd really like them to get along, you know.''

Birdlegs' smile grew bigger and fonder.

''I know. Still that doesn't mean you have to wait here for them. I mean, you can meet Frost back at your house, and you should take care of Ruffrunner's paw.''

Hearing the dragon's name, Nuffink quickly looked back at him. Pouncer and Dart were circling him while he was licking the swollen paw. If his sister seemed concerned, Pouncer was clucking teasingly, which was annoying the grumpy one of the family. Both vikings chuckled at this, then Nuffink carefully stroked the youngest's head.

From the moment he had met Frost, Ruffrunner had softened and opened up to other people and dragons, to the extend he was now accepting petting from the blond viking. It warmed up the blond's heart, the merman really made miracles with the grumpy dragon.

''Frost will join us back at the house, okay ?''

The dragon purred at the name he had grown so fond of. Nuffink wished goodnight to his friend, who waved back, then he left the arena with the three dragons. Dart lend her shoulder so her little brother could lean on it while Pouncer was bouncing around, as if to mock him. For all amusing the scene was, once they left the arena, Birdlegs' smile dropped. She thought back to what Frost had told her, and how guilty he was for having – thought unintentionaly – hurt Nuffink. 'Maybe I do him more bad than good...' That was the words stuck in her head.

At that time, she didn't know what to reply, yet she knew the boy didn't have to worry about this. Because Nuffink was really happy since he had met Frost. The difference was obvious and visible even in his smile that was brighter than ever. She would have lied saying the misunderstanding with Selina had not hurt the viking, but she also knew Nuffink had lived worst with Avock. The viking was tough, and Frost had not meant to hurt him, he had not cheated on him.

She felt a bit guilty for not having said that to Frost, but she promised herself she would next time she saw him. She didn't know the boy all that well, but she knew this kind of guilt was not a good thing and could rot someone from the inside, especially someone as sensible as Frost.