Part 9

Just as a reminder, every single part of this was prewritten from late 2018 to early 2019 so my writing might seem deferent.

The list was in a jumbled mess so we ended up walking around the entire store a few times. Good thing the store isn't huge other wise we would've been here for hours.

I looked at the time on the wall, it was 1 pm. My dad gets home around 9 pm, but since we saw him not so long ago, who knows if he's back at my house. I hope not, that will just make everything much harder for me.

After we got our things, we went to the cash register to check out. The lady that was checking us out kept looking me over, I felt so uncomfortable. Sal seemed to notice the lady and how uncomfotable I was, so he grabbed my hand. We paid for our things and grabbed our bags so we could leave and go back to the apartments.

They weren't that heavy so the walk back wouldn't be too bad. About 4 blocks into us walking back, my ankle started to hurt again. It's healed, why is it hurting? I dismissed it and kept on walking, until less than a block later, I started to limp a little bit.

Sal didn't notice at first but then it started to get worse and worse with each step. The doctor warned me about walking for long periods of time and running. He said I could hurt my ankle again so I should be careful.

When we were 2 blocks away from the apartments, Sally noticed me limping.

"Honey are you okay? I could carry your bags for you if your ankle is acting up again, I don't really mind."

I wanted to stop but I knew if I did, I wouldn't be able to start walking again.

"No it's okay Sal, I got it. It's not that heavy, I'll be fine. Were close to the apartments anyway, so it'll be okay."

Sally hesitated for a moment,

"Oh alright. I just don't want you to get hurt, that's all."

I tried to keep my previous pace, but I failed at doing so. My pace slowed down drastically, so Sal slowed down his pace to make sure I didn't feel too slow.

After about 45 minutes, no thanks to my ankle, we arrived back at the Addison Apartments. We walked inside and went straight to the elevator.

I walked inside and leaned my back on the side of the elevator and shifted my weight to my good ankle. Once we got to Sally's floor, Sally grabbed my bags along with his and walked torwards the door. I didn't try to stop him because his apartment was right beside the elevator.

I leaned my back against the wall beside the door to Sally's apartment. Just like in the elevator, I shifted my weight onto the good ankle.

Sal opened the door to his apartment and almost dropped his bags. We both heard a big, "Surprise!!!" from inside the room.

I got off the side of the wall to see what all the commotion was all about. I looked inside the room to see a, "Congratulations! You're gay!" banner hanging on the ceiling, rainbow streamers strung across the windows, the furniture, and the floor, and rainbow ballons, all rainbow and the different colors of the rainbow, all over the place. The balloons were on the floor and some were floating in the air because they had helium in them. Everyone was wearing rainbow party hats and long rainbow bead necklaces.

All of them threw rainbow confetti at us, and Ash and Larry came up to the both of us and put a party hat and necklace on the both of us. Sally walked into the apartment and I limped into it. Sal then took his mask off and I could see the biggest smile on his face, he was genuinely happy.

"You guys, wow this is amazing."

And Sal was right. This was truly amazing.

"Yeah guys, this is outstanding. You really did outdid yourselves."

I've never seen so many happy people in one place before, it was quite the odd sight to see for me. The fact that everyone is so supporting just completely blows my mind.

Everyone in the room looked genuinely happy, and which at least I was. Sally started to cry, but in a good way. Everyone got a little teary eyed themselves, especially Henry.

I could tell that he was genuinely happy for his son. That made me think of my dad. I hope he didn't go home, and I hope he didn't go into my room. Then he would discover that I snuck out. Despite being a preacher, he would raise hell if he found me with a boy.

I didn't seem to notice that Larry came up beside me, and I jumped a little bit when he put his hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay man? You seem a little tense. You were just kinda, spacing out I guess."

I look at him and smile.

"Yeah I'm good. Just thinking I guess."

He tilted his head slightly.

"Oh yeah? What about?"

Should I tell him? I mean he just started to trust me, can I trust him? Larry shook me a little bit.

"Hey man, I know that look. Something's up. What's wrong?"

I looked over at Sally who seemed to be having a nice conversation with Todd, and Henry is laughing at whatever Todd just said.

"Well it's just, it's about my dad. I'm afraid that he's going to know that I snuck out and if he finds me with a boy, he's going to uh, yeah."

Larry's face softened.

"Homophobic dad? I'm sorry bud. I know it's not any of my business but does he, you know, hi-"

Larry's question got cut off by a sudden loud knock at the door. It was so loud that I almost fell over. Everyone got dead silent in the room, but the knocking only got louder. I honestly thought that they'd break the door if they knocked any harder.

Henry slowly made his way over to the door and slowly opened it. I hear a familiar voice coming from outside the door.

"Hello, I'm sorry to intrude but I'm looking for my son, Travis Phelps, and was wondering if you've seen him. Have you?"