Chapter Twelve: Rocky Waters

I was silent the whole time. My stomach churned as I felt guilty. For what? I don't know. Maybe it was leaving my mother to worry when she comes back? No, I'm trying to help her and myself for closure. I shouldn't feel so- "Ahhh!"

Masky and Clockwork turned to look at me. I had fallen right on my butt.

"Oh no! Are you alright?!" a male voice resounded from my right. A hand reached out to help me up. I lifted my hand voluntarily, albeit mindlessly as I stared at this person. He had a blue button-up shirt, dark blue jeans, and dark hair. Without so much as a care in the world, he brushed my hair out of my face.

"So sorry, little miss." he apologetically sighed, shaking my hand, "I am Helen Otis."

"[ ]. [ ] [ ]." I managed out. He smiled and glanced at my group before parting in the direction he'd originally intended. Once I was close enough to Masky, he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead.

"A little jealous, are we?" I giggled.

Masky's face flushed, but he played it off coolly, "No way."

I laughed as we scoured the north of our parallel town.

"Well so much for "town"! It's a fucking city!" Clockwork cried out in frustration. She sat down on a bench and Masky and I followed suit.

"Sorry, Clockwork. I didn't know it was going to be this much of-" I stopped. A man in an alley stared at me for a few seconds before disappearing. Masky felt me tense up as I grit my teeth.

"I felt him too... I knew someone was following us! Let's go, you guys!" Masky called out to us as he ran across the street into the alley. I glanced at Clockwork. She was confused too, that is until we both followed Masky.

He was staring at a wall. There were no other exits but in which we came. There weren't even any windows.

"A dead end?" Clockwork and I both asked. Masky swallowed down a lump in his throat.

"Unless..." my eyes widened with fear. "Oh my God. Do you think it was-?"

Don't you see, child?!
Somebody from your group is a traitor...
One of them is working for ME!
Can you guess who it is?!
Hmmmm?
Can you?

It stopped talking.

"Masky..." I shivered, "The voice said that one of us... In the whole group... Is a traitor."

"He's lying to you, [ ]!" Masky barked at me. I stared at him with a puzzled expression, "How did you know it was a "he"?"