Chapter Twenty: Efficiently Effective

Masky and Clockwork came back with the whole gang and we wound up the Painter in duct tape and took him with us to the hotel. Within just a couple of seconds, he gave us all we needed to know. We sent another group to scope out the place. When everyone else left to get ready for the big fight, Masky and I stayed behind to watch over the Painter.

We kept him in Slenderman's room while we went to the bathroom to dress our wounds received from the fight earlier.

"How are your ribs doing? Does it hurt to move or breathe?" Masky asked me softly. Truthfully, I was in a whole ass-load of pain, but nothing physically internal felt messed up.

"I think I'm okay," I said as I lifted my shirt and tied it below my breast line. There was the imprint of some shoe definitely discoloring my skin.

"Gosh, this is going to leave some long-lasting bruising..." Masky winced as he touched it gently. I could understand his resentment towards Painter, but as fucked up as it was, I didn't even hate him.

I was still conflicted for sure because of all I'd gone through within the two hours, but I was actually finding myself believing he was my father trapped in another man's body. God, when did my life become so complicated? Oh, but there was so much good to combat all the bad... ugh, life's such a mess.

Masky took a moment to check up on Painter. He hadn't run away, thankfully. It just proved to me that I could begin to trust him. I got a phone call from Lulu shortly after in which she confirmed Zalgo was waiting in hiding. A warm flood of relief filled my chest and I thanked her. I pulled Masky back into the bathroom to deliver the good news and he seemed relieved too.

"It's bothering me..." Masky started, "The way he just allowed himself to be beat. The way he divulged such precious information. It's just bothering me. That's all."

I tugged on his jacket collar and looked into his eyes, "I actually have something to tell you. Please don't think I'm stupid, okay?"

"I could never think that [     ]."

"What about that time I suggested we all stick forks into live toasters to stuff the most bread in them?"

He looked deep in thought until he finally nodded erratically. "That was just a stupid idea, but I never thought for a moment that you were stupid. Now, tell me what you were gonna say."

He kissed the back of my hand and I explained what had really happened back at the mill. He appeared to be conflicted as well, and I had to explain my reasonings.

He embraced me and kissed the top of my head, "Well, with whatever happens, I will be here for you."