Chapter 48

"Everybody loves the things you do
From the way you talk
To the way you move
Everybody here is watching you
'Cause you feel like home
You're like a dream come true
But if by chance you're here alone
Can I have a moment
Before I go?
'Cause I've been by myself all night long
Hoping you're someone I used to know

I was so scared to face my fears
Nobody told me that you'd be here
And I swear you moved overseas
That's what you said, when you left me

It's hard to admit that
Everything just takes me back
To when you were there
And a part of me keeps holding on
Just in case it hasn't gone
'Cause I still care
Do you still care?

It was just like a movie
It was just like a song
My God, this reminds me
Of when we were young

Let me photograph you in this light
In case it is the last time
That we might be exactly like we were
Before we realized
We were sad of getting old
It made us restless
Oh, I'm so mad I'm getting old
It makes me reckless
It was just like a movie
It was just like a song
When we were young"

When we were young, Adele (cover by Ryan Dolan)

~~~~~~~

Dumbledore scanned with his calm, penetrating blue eyes the young wizard sitting in front of him.
"Your face tells me that there are no good news yet".
Tom sighed, too tired and overwhelmed by his emotions to deal with his job problem "Sir, I can't come back teaching. I'm sorry for missing so many days and for being a burden for you too. I'm not in the right mood for teaching. If the students will see me like this they will pay for faults that are not theirs".
The headmaster of Hogwarts eyed him without disapproval "I understand, Tom. Everyone knows that your personal problems are keeping you busy, but what I ask you is to attend at least the dinners in the Great Hall with us. Your students love you and they are very worried about you. They fear that you are not their teacher anymore or that something bad happened to them. We all agree to let you deal with your problems first, but the only price that Hogwarts asks you is to prove that you are still part of us. This is your home".
Tom didn't want charity. He knew that Albus Dumbledore was still his friend and his mentor, but Tom didn't want privileges.
He swallowed hard "I keep failing, don't I? I failed when Evelyn wanted me to go back home at least for the night. And now I'm failing this school. I fail everyone who loved or cared for me. I won't be surprised if soon I'll find myself jobless and homeless in some filthy street".
"Nobody is abandoning you, Tom" Dumbledore assured him "I'm replacing you because I'm not letting you losing your job. Because this is the least I can do as friend. Just don't let this tragedy drug you so down".

Tom agreed to join the supper, feeling numb in front of the warm atmosphere in the Great Hall crowded with students, who shot him grateful and questioning looks.
As soon as dinnertime was over, Tom was ready to leave the castle again, when his thoughts persuaded him to stay a little longer and take advantage of the knowledge stored in that place to keep investigating.
He never liked Filius Flitwick in their school years, although he couldn't deny that the half goblin was clever.
And Dumbledore was happy to renew the staff so he welcomed the short wizard in the school, giving him back his position as leader of the orchestra with the hope that soon he could also become a professor.
"I know you wouldn't be happy to see me as your equal" Filius commented after Tom tried to approach him in a friendly way and invited him into an empty classroom.
"Don't pretend to know me so well. I don't undervalue your skills. Let's say I want to ask your advice. I wouldn't do this if I don't value you".
Filius sighed defeated "It's for Evy, isn't it? You know that I would do anything to help her. But memory is something so delicate, yet so complex".
Tom nodded "Can you tell me more about it? This is your subject. Can she ever get back her memories?".
"It's not impossible, as you know" Filius shot a knowing look "The question is how to make it happen, if it's time or another trauma to bring back her memories, that are not gone forever, they are just encapsulated within some bubbles that prevent her from reaching her memories".
"How I wish to destroy all those bloody bubbles" Tom grumbled "What about casting the spell? Can some random idiot succeed in casting such an effective spell?".
Filius blinked thoughtfully "It's a very advanced spell. Not to mention that it can be used only with the approval of the Ministry. If it was just an attack, then she could have partially lost her memories".
"But Evelyn forgot everything except her childhood memories" Tom pointed out "Everything about our school years and what happened after graduation. So it wasn't just an accident if the attacker used that spell. He meant to make her forgot that large portion of her life".
Filius's expression showed that he agreed.
"But why?" Tom asked with confusion "What did she have to forget?".
Filius shrugged, having no answers.
Tom feared what the answer could be.
He didn't want to be the answer.