Chapter 10

My eyes flitted open to a busy sickbay. Nurses were walking back and forth, tending to patients and seeing to McCoy's orders. I yawned and sat up, scanning the room for Bones. As if on cue, he walked in and immediately came to my bed. 

"Good mornin'. How ya feelin' after last night?" He asked.

"Alright." I said through a yawn.

McCoy smiled at me and brought over a breakfast tray, telling me to eat, which I did willingly after not having dinner last night. Once I had finished, Bones came over and began to take my bandages off and look over my injuries. 

"You don't have to wear bandages anymore Izzy." Bones said, feeling my side where the stab wound had been.

I nodded and looked down at the floor.

"You okay?" McCoy asked. 

"Yeah...actually, can I have a hug?" I asked shyly.

Bones smiled and stepped closer to me, opening his arms and pulling me into him. I breathed in his scent and he kissed the top of my head. He let go of me and rested his forehead on mine, looking down at me. 

"Thank you Bones." I said, smiling up at him.

"For what darlin'?"

"Last night. And the hug." I laughed at the last part. 

"My pleasure." He smiled and brushed my hair back, pulling away. "You can go back to your quarters now. You don't have to stay in sickbay." 

I looked down and was actually sad that I was going to leave McCoy. He lifted my chin up and looked at me confused. 

"I thought you hated sickbay." He said.

"I do. I just...I'll miss you." 

He laughed. "I'll still be here if you need to see me." 

"I know..." I said.

"What do you say we go on that date tonight?" He asked.

I smiled up at him and nodded, turning to walk out the door. 

"1800 hours! My quarters!" He yelled after me. 

I chuckled as I left and went straight to my quarters to figure out what to wear. After three hours trying to pick an outfit, I finally settled on a sheer black top with dark green slacks and brown flats. I wasn't very girly and didn't own one thing that was pink or had flowers on it. I brushed out my long brown hair and straightened it, leaving it down which is something I rarely do. McCoy knows I hate my hair down so if I leave it, it's special. I finished with minimal makeup and a necklace with a rose charm and matching diamond stud earrings. Doing one final check, I head nervously to McCoy's quarters. Once I got there, I hesitated for a moment before ringing the doorbell. I was met with a 'come it' from inside as I stepped in. 

"Hi Izzy." McCoy said, turning around. 

The second he layed eyes on me, his jaw dropped slightly, causing me to become extremely self-conscious. I rubbed my arm and looked at the floor, blushing slightly. I heard him walk towards me and take my hand, lifting my head up with the other. 

"You look beautiful." He smiled at me. 

"Thank you." I said, smiling back.

He led me to the middle of the room and sat me at the table he had set up. There were a few flowers and a small candle in the center. McCoy opened a bottle of wine and poured two glasses, handing me one. The night was filled with happy chatting as we ate and drank, even attempting to dance after we ate. Bones had two left feet so it was somewhat difficult. 

"Why don't you sleep here tonight?" McCoy asked, noticing my failed attempt to hide a yawn. "I won't do anything you're not comfortable with." 

"Uh...Sure." I said. I wasn't uncomfortable with McCoy at all so I don't know why he said that. "I don't have pajamas though."

McCoy stood up and walked over to his dresser, pulling out a black shirt and tossing it at me. I caught it and walked to the bathroom to change. I put my hair up because it was driving me crazy and took my clothes off, replacing them with the night shirt. It came down to the middle of my thigh so I didn't have to worry about bottoms. I came back out to find McCoy already changed as well. He looked me up and down and smiled as I did a model spin. He walked towards me and suddenly picked me up and fell on the bed, me still in his arms. We broke into laughter and situated ourselves under the blanket. McCoy sat up and pulled his shirt off, revealing his bare chest and layed back down. He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into his chest. I looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back, leaning down and kissing my forehead. 

"Goodnight Izzy." He said, resting his chin on the top of my head. 

"Goodnight Bones. Thanks for the date by the way." I said, snuggling my face into his chest. 

"Of course. I hope there will be more." 

"Oh there will definitely be more." I said.

We both laughed and I felt Bones move his hand down to my hip, sliding it under the hem of my shirt and back up to my waist, where it rested lightly. I smiled and kissed his chest softly, causing a chuckle from Bones. I eventually fell asleep listening to the rhythmic beat of McCoy's heart and breathing. This was going to be the start of a wonderful relationship...