Chapter 7: Into the Fire

Once the stressful situation had settled down and people were getting their short relaxation, Mason wanted to get their convoy to continue with the mission. The farther they get out of this place, the better their chance of staying alive and learning more interesting stuff about this world. Not like he had the chance to switch the topic when another incident occurred down the road. They all had their rifles aimed at the target, but soon realized what they were looking at.

"Hold fire guys! Hold fire! Those are civilians!"

It was the couple who were chased by the monsters earlier!

The woman and the kid went out of their way to actually go back and yell something in her language. The first two people who confronted them were Echo and Orchid, but those guys only looked at the women in confusion. Their reaction also caused some issues for the woman as she frantically tried to tell them something.

All of a sudden, Mason headed toward the trunk and pulled out a small plastic suitcase. The content inside was a thick glasses like one of those augmented reality visor people used in public. The same kind of device he used during the first night raid in this world.

He ran up to the woman and tried to talk to the woman in her own language. Hopefully all the self-study about Lystyn language helped him in this scenario. Even though his vocabulary was limited and probably butchering the accents so hard, some words managed to get through, "Calm down. Start again from the beginning. Slowly... "

When it came to translation, the translator program installed inside the glasses picked up the words easier and translated much faster, all he needed to do was read the line that appeared in front of his eyes.

The woman suddenly looked back at him in a weird way. Possibly wondering why his speaking was so bad. Still, she brushed it aside and continued to explain her issue.

"Strong warriors, I know that you defeated these demon tigers, but please, they are only children. You must escape before the mother comes!" The woman tried her best to slow down her explanation, but the panic building up did not help her one bit. Luckily enough, the dictionary managed to catch all of her words, "You'll stand no chance against her! No one has ever defeated her before."

"How do you know she's... coming?" Evan tried to understand the situation. After all, why would this woman go out of her own safety to inform them of this valuable intel to them? Nonetheless, a valuable intel is an intel which always grants them advantages over their adversary. He would put them to good use.

His question also caused some concern in her eyes and she gave him the same weird look like the one earlier, "You can't detect the strong mana essence coming this way? Oh no, she's close!"

Mana essence?

Was this the topic Colonel Moore talked about during the meeting?

As much as he wanted to learn more about this mana essence and asked this woman some more questions, the mother of these demon tigers put a lot of concern and fear for the woman. He did not know why, but she did witness his team annihilating a pack of them with ease.

He soon got his answer when there was a loud roar, rumbling the entire area around them and forcing multiple flocks of birds far away to flee into the sky. That was not a good sign. When the tremor settled, Mason looked around the perimeter to check on his team and he could see everybody was already calmed down.  

A moment of eerie silence came crashing down on them like a tidal wave. After the thunderous and rumbling show, this sort of fake tranquility bothered him as much as the next guy pestering him all day long. Mason could tell everybody in their position was on-guard and tried to scan their perimeter with a very watchful temperament.