Chapter 15: Masami

Despite the day light breaking free from the dark sky, the night was not yet ready to give in and tried to cling on what was left of the shadow looming over the military base code named Apollo. Even with its best effort to stop the shining, the crack of dawn slowly made it way above the horizon and started off the beginning of a new day. Outside the window, it got brighter and bird chirping began to fly in. Alongside the pleasurable sound of nature seeping into the room, so did the mechanical commotion that had been constantly going on for the entire night. However, it was the dreadful sound she grew used to. Without accepting and adapting to this new environment, she would not have the stomach to stay here for over a week.

Masami opened her eyes and faced the familiar white-wash ceiling. Then she turned her head to the side and looked at the digital clocks sitting on top of the night stand. It showed the number of 5:46 A.M, but she sighed at the little piece of ingenious invention. Despite setting up the clock to ring at six in the morning, she always had the tendency to wake up before the alarm went off. The small predicament did not bother her one bit though. Usually, she preferred waking up naturally rather than getting awoken by some tiresome beeping sounds.

She got out of the small yet surprisingly comfortable bed, and looked to the other side of the room where her daughter was sleeping soundly in her own bed. Since the layout of the room was rather simple and small, constructed with the material so-called aluminum, this little personal space had pretty much every necessity she could ask for. 'Cheap but efficient' was the phrase she learned from her stay in this base camp. In spite of living inside a military base, this room even had a small private bathroom considering most inn from small towns did not have one. It would be one of the first luxurious accommodations that the common or poor people did not have access to. They even offered a splendid set of tables and chairs, a wardrobe, and bookshelves. Even with all the provided furniture, she and her daughter rarely had any use for them except for the amazing piece of technology called the television. During their stay, Luna had grown attached to it, providing her with entertainment that was vastly different from their own world through the usage of moving paintings.

She walked over to her daughter's bed and the little girl was still tucked in nicely under the blanket. A caring smile appeared on Masami. She quietly sat down on the side of the bed and continued to look over her daughter. Seeing the peaceful and sweet expression from Luna's sleeping face, Masami could not refrain herself from gently rubbing Luna's head and caressed the glistening jet black hair that very much resembled her own hair. At one moment, the cute fox ears twitched, the tail rustled loudly under the blanket, and a troubled expression appeared as Luna opened her little golden color eyes. She woke up to the warmth of her mother's hand and looked tiredly back at Masami.

"Mother, you should really stop doing this," Luna groaned and sat upright, but her daughter's tone was not in denial as she enjoyed every bit of their bonding time.

"Aw, how could I?" Masami stopped the head patting, "Even though you're only thirty years old, you're still my little girl. On the other hand, you are quite enjoying it."

"I'm not the same little innocent girl fifteen years ago." Luna got out of bed and headed straight for the bathroom. As she quickly walked to the other side of the room, the girl could not hide her flushed face from her mother. Masmi giggled at the embarrassed child reaction. It was pretty much the same scenario when Masami got to know him in the past. The very same decisive day that changed her future.

With every meeting, there is eventually a parting. But that parting does not last forever, Masami repeated the same phrase that still echoed loudly with his voice. She could not believe all those years had ultimately brought her to this point of a crossroad.