Chapter 79

The next morning, Keeper laid wide awake while June fell asleep by Page's arm. Less than half an hour later, Louie arrived. Keeper opened the door for him. His presence still made him feel uncomfortable. "Good morning. Keeper--Keeper right?" Louie asked. Keeper nodded his head as he swung the door open for him. "Did you guys get any sleep?" Louie asked as he entered the room. "A bit," Keeper replied. Louie nodded in return. "Any progress?" He asked. Keeper shook his head in response. Louie sighed. Then his attention turned towards June. "I bet she hasn't had any sleep," he said as quietly as possible. "Yeah, she just fell asleep about fifteen minutes ago," Keeper answered. "May dala ako ditong pagkain. Don't bother going out anymore," Louie informed Keeper who looked at him in return. "How much do I owe you?" Keeper asked. "Nothing. You don't owe me anything. This is for you guys," Louie said as he gestured towards the food. Keeper looked at him in return. "Keeper, you know hindi lang kami ni June ang kelangan mag-act ng civil towards each other right?" Louie asked. Keeper kept his eyes on him the whole time. He didn't like that Louie was free to come and go at Page's hospital room anytime he pleases, but he thought about Page, so he kept his mouth shut. "I know," he answered firmly. "I'm not going to hurt her. I'm not going to do anything that will put her in harm's way," Louie assured him. Keeper only stared back at him. Then he sighed. He wanted him to leave, but again, he kept his mouth shut for Page. "Thanks for the food," he said to him. Louie smiled a little. "Binili ko talaga yan para sating lahat," he replied.

Another half an hour later, there was a knock on the door again. Keeper and Louie looked at each other then at the door. Then the door opened a little, April's head peeked at them. "Tita April," Keeper said as he stood up. Louie stood as well. The two men greeted her with a hug and a smile. "Is she awake?" April asked. Keeper shook his head. "I mean si ate, is she awake?" April asked again. "They're both sleeping," Keeper and Louie said at the same time. Then they looked at each other. "Good, come with me you two," April said as she motioned for the guys to follow her. Keeper and Louie looked at each other again. Louie went back to the table. "Kuya," April called out to him in a whisper, she tried to be as quiet as possible. "I'm just putting my plate down," Louie said. "Ssssh, bilis. Come," April said. Louie wiped his mouth and hurried for the door. Then he and Keeper followed April. "Tita, where are we going?" Keeper asked. "Yeah, iniwan natin si June mag-isa. And I left my stuff too," Louie added. "We're not going anywhere. Magpapatulong lang kami with some stuff sa car," April answered the two. "'Kami'? Who are you with, tita?" Keeper asked. "JJAMS and yes, that includes your mom too," April answered. "Oh," Keeper said. It brought him great comfort to know that his mom was with them.

When they arrived at the parking lot, Keeper and Louie frowned at the same time. "Are you guys going to a festival or something?" Louie asked. "Hi, Louie. Hi, Keeps." May said with a smile and a wave. July and Sandy greeted the two men as well. The three of them were busy unloading the back of the car. "Tama po si tito Lou, you guys look like you're going to a festival or the beach," Keeper claimed. Louie couldn't help but smile. He liked hearing Keeper call him "tito". "Well, nagpaalam na kami, don't worry," Sandy said as she held onto Keeper's arm and gave him a kiss on the cheeks. "Did you sleep at all?" She asked. Keeper nodded. "A little," he answered. "Did you?" He asked in return. "I did," Sandy answered. "Good," Keeper said. "Anyway, what 'paalam'? And who did you guys ask permission from?" He asked. "The hospital. Kasi ang dami ngang equipment. Basta 'wag lang daw kami makaka-istorbo sa patients and staff, we can bring all these," Sandy informed him. "Oh," Keeper said, still confused with the amount of stuff JJAMS were unloading from July's van. "Ako na dyan," Louie said as he stopped his sister from carrying the heavy stuff. "Uy, gentleman ka naman pala kuya eh," April said. Louie looked at her and sighed. "Ang sama sama yata ng tingin nyo sakin. Mabait naman talaga ako," he claimed. April had to smile to that. As they finished unloading, Keeper stared at the wagon filled with the stuff they were going to bring to Page's hospital room. "Would tita June let you guys bring all that?" Keeper asked April. "Probably not," May answered for April. "That's why we're sneaking these in," July said with a wink. Keeper rubbed the back of his head. "You guys are really something, I'll tell you that," he said to the women. "Thank you," the women replied in synchrony. Keeper and Louie looked at each other in response.