Chapter 4: Heartbreak

(Perspective: Dr. W.D. Gaster)

It was late that night. I had just finished giving Papyrus dinner and sending him to bed. It was a bit chilly, so I turned on the heat and sat down in my chair with a cup of coffee. The podcast was going to start soon and I didn't want to miss it a single minute of it. This podcast was going to change the way monsters saw humans. I wanted to believe that my son was still alive, but if it was true that he wasn't coming back, that would make me feel devastated. I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. There were a few commercials, but then the podcast began. It started off with a grand opening, and then it phased to a reindeer monster wearing a formal outfit. She looked very young, around the age of fifteen.

"Welcome to the podcast of humans and monsters," she said, "My name is Noelle and today we are going to interview some of the humans to ask them what their life was like in the underground. We are going to start off with former King, Flint." Flint walked up to the podium and the interviewer stood in front of him.

"As former king of the underground, how does it feel to be living like everyone else now?" she asked.

"It's alright," Flint answered, "I never thought I'd live a life like this. Though I am not used to the sun shining on my face during the day."

"As we all do," the interviewer giggled, "Next question. What was your life like as king of the underground?"

"Well, I did spend a lot of time alone, unfortunately," Flint answered, "When a tragedy happened in our family, she and our son left me to go live somewhere else. Now whenever I see my ex-wife, she won't even talk to me."

"Well," Noelle said, "That certainly doesn't sound the life I want. Now I must ask my last two questions. How did you destroy the barrier, and what happened to all the monsters that fell down?" I gulped when I heard this. These questions could either be answered positively or negatively. Whatever the outcome was, I just wanted to hear that my son was alright and alive.

"The barrier was destroyed by a small goat monster pulling out the needle keeping it in place," Flint explained, "He was the eighth monster to fall."

"And what about monsters 1-7?" Noelle asked, "What happened to them?"

"Well, we adopted the first monster like our own," Flint answered, "Unfortunately, the accident happened, and he died. The other monsters, however..." He took a deep breath in and breathed out.

"I killed them."

The minute I heard those words, my coffee mug fell out of my hand and shattered on the ground. This couldn't have been true.

"What do you remember about these monsters?" Noelle said as her warm smile went to a slight frown.

"I don't remember most of them, but I remember the first one being a small skeleton around the age of 8," Flint answered, "He tried to fight back, but ultimately failed to me." I was heartbroken. I turned off the TV and fell on my hands and knees. Tears started spilling from my eyes more than rain in a lightning storm. I couldn't believe it. He took the one thing I cared about most in this world. It was at that moment that I decided humans were no longer our friends, but our enemies.

I probably cried for about fifteen minutes before I heard a mysterious voice. It was and oddly familiar voice I had heard before.

"You must really hate humans right now," she said, "What if I told you there was a way where we could both get what we want." I got up and turned around to see a shadowy figure in the dark. All I could see was her lavender glowing eyes.

"Not you again," I said, "What do you want?"

"I think you very well know what I want," she said, "After all, we both want similar things. I want to get revenge on the monsters, and you want to get rid of those pesky humans, am I right?"

"Humans took away my child," I told her, "I could never forgive them for that. But then again, it was just one human. But that doesn't mean that the act wasn't done! Whatever you have to offer, I don't care! I hate humans, but not enough to hurt them!"

"Oh, that's too bad," she responded, "I was going to make you a deal that could bring back your son. The only problem is, I need a few SOULs for it to work. What do you say to that? Humanity and Monster Kind should never live in peace. They're just too chaotic when near each other." I didn't really like her policies, but if I could bring Sans back, I'd do it. I walked over to her and shook her hand.

"I'll do whatever I can," I told her, "Anything to bring back my son."

"Perfect," she said evilly, "We start tomorrow. You ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I said evilly. At last, I would make the humans suffer for what they did. I would make sure that they got the ending they deserved.