Chapter 5: The Demon

(Perspective: Chara)

I was trying to sleep peacefully that night, but something inside me just kept giving me awful nightmares. I woke up abruptly and looked around.

"Just another nightmare," I said, "I'll probably get over it soon."

"Or that's what you want to believe," I heard. It sounded like a child's voice, but where was the child? Then, a ghost child appeared in front of me. He looked kind of like Asriel, except he had little horns, a green shirt, and glasses.

"Greetings," he said, "I am Ralsei. You may or may not remember me. I was the voice inside Asriel's head. And I'm the one who's been possessing you and making you do things you wouldn't otherwise do. But your Determination and violence has brought me back to life. Every second I slowly feed on your Determination. Just a bit more, and my body will be solid, meaning I will be real again! Then, I can finally get rid of those pesky humans!" I started to tremble with fear, but I had to stay determined.

"I won't let that happen!" I said back, "Even if you gain physical matter, you won't have a SOUL. You won't live for long."

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't," Ralsei said, "But in just about 12 hours, I will regain a physical form. Goodnight, Chara." Then he vanished out of thin air. He didn't help me at all, and I couldn't fall asleep for the rest of the night.

The next morning, I couldn't see Ralsei anywhere, but I knew he was still with me. I walked down the stairs and grabbed my stuff. Today was the day of the Threed Town Carnival. I was going to go with Asriel, Henry, Kumatora, and Ness. Frisk and some new girl named Willow decided to tag along as well for some reason. After about an hour, we arrived at the carnival.

"Thank you so much for taking me here," Willow said, "This will be first carnival ever. I hope to have the best time ever."

"Eh? No problem," Ness answered, "It's the least I can do for the lack of a school tour."

"I hate to be rude, but shouldn't we have an adult chaperone?" I asked, "Not that you're bad chaperone or anything."

"Nah," Ness answered, "After all, didn't you and Asriel go through the whole underground by yourselves? Besides, Kumatora is technically an adult. She's 19, I believe."

"I'm 21," Kumatora corrected, "But that's beside the point. We're here to have fun, right?!" She then harshly gently scratched Asriel's head. He giggled in response.

"Can't disagree with that," I responded, "Come on Asriel. Let's go play some carnival games."

"Okay," Asriel said. I quickly grabbed his hand and ran over to the ring tossing game.

"Geez," he said, "Do you have to be so harsh when you pull me away?"

"Sorry," I said smiling, "I'm just excited for this." I placed two tokens on the counter.

"We'd like to give this game a try," I told the person at the booth. He took the tokens and handed each of us three rings.

"Good luck," he said softly, "Be sure to watch the big show today as well. It's located at the tent. It's going to be great."

"Okay. We will be sure to check it out," I responded, unsure of my answer.

"So, do you wanna go first?" I asked Asriel.

"Uh, sure," he answered nervously. He weakly threw the ring at the bottles. It bounced off of them and fell on the ground. He looked down and looked as if he was about to cry.

"Aww," he said, "I'll never be good enough to win this game." Then, Frisk came and ran over to us.

"Do you guys need some help?" she asked us, "I'm pretty good at this game."