Dee's past

After that encounter with that entitled Karen, Dee and I got our coffee's and made our way back to his house. Dee flopped on the bed after throwing his empty coffee cup away. I take the first sip of my caramel latte.

He sighs as I throw mu now empty cup away and that's when I notice how quite it is. "Dee where are your parents? Shouldn't they be home?" I sign with confusion on my face but I regret it when I see Dee's shoulders tense up and his breathing hitch. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, It's not my place to pry" I say quickly but he gently takes my hand and I sit down on the bed letting him rest his head on my shoulder.

Dee lets out a shaky sigh before looking up at me and I feel his shoulders tense even more. "My parents passed away" He says and I feel my heart instantly break instantly looking at the the sad expression he holds in his eyes.

Dee's pov

I was seven when it all went to hell, the day my world came crashing down. There was a thump from the kitchen followed by the sound of metal hitting the floor. I ignored it for a minute thinking mom just knocked something off the counter or stove until my dad starts screaming my mom's name. I run into the kitchen and I see mom moving around violently on the floor with white foaming in her mouth. I don't really know what happened next because it went by in a blur of noise and color but when everything came back into focus, I was sitting in an uncomfortable hospital waiting room chairs with my dad next to me staring blankly at the floor. Dad was trying to hold back his tears while I was trying to figure out what happened. I was too young to know what was going on and I was never told about these kinds of things. "Cherry Duncan" A nurse calls, her heels clicking against the polished hospital floor. Dad shot up like a bullet and quickly crossed the room while I followed slowly behind. "How is she?" I heard dad ask but I hear the shakiness in his voice. The nurse only kept her mouth in a thin line and lowered her eyes to the floor, shaking her head slowly. She looked up again after a minute and said "I'm sorry Mr.Duncan, Your wife had a seizure and her death was caused by the lack of oxygen in her blood which caused her to suffocate". Dad let out a strangled sob and sat down with his head in his hands. I slowly walked up to dad fiddling with my sleeves as I saw his tears hit the floor. "Dad?" I ask softly and he quickly wipes his tears to try to hide his tears from me. "Hey Dee, come on" Dad says, holding his hand out for me to grab. I do and he takes me out to the car. "What about mom?" I ask and I see dad freeze. "Mom's not coming, she's sleeping and she needs to sleep for a long time" He says letting me climb into the car and buckle my seat-belt and he does the same. I look down already missing the cheerful laughter mom would have had to lift our spirits. We get home and dad heads right for his office and slams the door shut. I lower my head and walk into my room, leaving my door open a crack. Later in the night I heard dad crying in his office, his sobs carrying through the entire house. All of a sudden I heard a gunshot go off and a loud thump, similar to the one mom made. I throw my door the rest of the way open and run to my dad's office. I open the door and the first thing I see is the empty beer bottles scattered across the room. I look down and see dad's lifeless body taunting me. He had blood on his head and a gun lay inches from his limp hand. His lifeless eyes stared straight into mine as I felt hot tears streaming down my face. I cover my mouth with my hands trying to quiet my sobs before running upstairs and grabbing my bag filling it with clothes, my phone, the phone charger, money, and running out of the house. I can't tell where I'm going because my vision is blurry but I eventually make it to an alleyway and sit there for hours.

I am pulled out of my thoughts as I feel my back hit the mattress and arms wrap around my waist. "Dee, I'm so sorry you had to go through that" Virgil signs snuggling into the crook of my neck. "It's ok, because how I have you lightning bug" I says pulling him closer.

"Dee, I have another question, What's your actual name because I always call you by you nickname" Virgil signs and I smile lightly. "My name is Janus" I whisper turning off the lamp on the bedside table and snuggle closer and Virgil giggles breathy. I see him yawn even though it's dark and lays his head on my chest.

I was a little startled because he hadn't done this before. "What are you doing?" I whisper but he doesn't move. "I'm listening to your heartbeat, it calms me" He taps mores code on my arm. I close my eyes and letting Virgil's soft snore lull me to sleep.

---------------------------------

word count:939