Memories and Explanations

Kristin's POV

Waking up in the nurse's office wasn't a shock, as I remembered what took place probably an hour before.

My mind was whirling with thoughts I wished I'd never have, memories I had buried so deep to never be brought up again, yet I lay still, my eyes glazed and calm as all the trauma I went through came back.

I had pushed that part of my childhood away, buried inside, to forget like a ghost's shadow.

It would be left alone.

I wish it would all end. The thoughts, the memories, the pain, and the life I had lived.

To start new and redo what I had prayed to be forgiven, hoped to erase, and cried for the reminders.

Ryder didn't know I was a witch, and I wanted to keep it that way. There was no need for him to know, I could protect myself from hunters, I wasn't some damsel in distress.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the bell. I sat up and opened the wooden door.

I poked my head out and glanced around. Empty. I stepped out and made my way to my locker.

Kids already were in the classes, not wanting to be late. I grabbed my books and shuffled to my last period.

When I stepped into class, the teacher looked at me, worry in his eyes.

"Did the nurse excuse you?" He wasn't being mean, he was just concerned.

"Yeah." I lied, my voice meek and quiet.

I wasn't really focused on the lesson, my mind more focused on the subject of Ryder.

I shivered. I did feel something for him, something I probably shouldn't have at the moment, but I couldn't exactly place it.

Once the bell rang for homeroom, I hurried to my locker, placing everything inside and grabbing my book.

I sat down at my desk, flipping it open, keeping my eyes glued to the pages.

I lied my head down, pretending to read as I let my thoughts drift.

Was my childhood going to repeat itself?
______________________________

My parents weren't called since I collapsed before I could ask to call them, but I decided I wasn't ready when I woke up, wasn't ready to explain.

My mom was in the kitchen cooking. She looked different than the last time I saw her. Her light filled eyes they were dull and lifeless, her eyes sunken in making her look 40 instead of 30.

When she heard me walk through the door, I guess she thought it was dad.

"Honey, I told you to stay at work. I'll being looking for Kristin, while you take your mind off of it." She practically scolded him even though he wasn't in the house. She didn't even look up from the skillet.

"Do I look like a 40 year old man? I asked, crossing my arms in fake anger.

She froze and turned around slowly. When she saw me standing there, her eyes looked as if a lightbulb lit up, her sunken eyes widening.

"Kristin!" She exclaimed. It seemed everyone was yelling my name today.

She hugged me tightly, and I thought I might of suffocated for a moment.

"Where have you been?!!" She cried. I could see tears in her eyes, threatening to make rivers on her tan skin.

"Just let me explain." I surrendered.
She had went to call dad, telling him I had miraculously appeared out of nowhere.

He hugged me tighter than mom. This time, I was sure I had heard my ribs crack.

"We need to talk."

They both nodded in complete agreement.
______________________________

They were angry, but understood that I was fine and were glad he didn't mean any real harm.

I went upstairs to change.

I flopped onto my bed and sighed. All those horrible memories had resurfaced, the ones I worked to rid of, and it was all Mr. Kidnap-my-mate-because-I'm-a-psycho's fault.

I went to say something out loud, but when I tried, my throat burned and a memory flashed before me.

My hands gripped my throat in an attempt to stop the painful sensation and as soon as I stopped trying to talk, it disappeared.

I frowned.

I guess all that screaming at Ryder killed my vocal cords.

I smiled slightly, my mind already forgetting the images that had reappeared before me.

Totally worth it.