Friends

Kristin's POV

Being a witch, I could shift myself into other mythical creatures, such as, a mermaid.

I ran down to the crowded beach and toward the ocean. I jumped in, swimming far down from the surface. I transformed into my mermaid form and swam away from the shore.

When I looked back, Ryder wasn't swimming after me. While I was still searching for any sign of Ryder behind me, I slammed into a surfboard.

The impact made me dizzy and the guy fell off. Once I regained my sight, I saw the guy trying to swim up, but a piece of seaweed was holding his foot, keeping him under.

If I saved him I'd reveal myself, but if I didn't, he would die.

God damnit.

I used my silver tail to swim down and untie the seaweed from his foot. I grabbed his tattooed arm, and hauled him up to the surface as fast as I could go due to my stupid, heavy tail.

We bobbed up, and I grabbed his board so he could hold onto it like a floaty because he still seemed weak from the lack of air.

He looked at me with two different emotions, scared and fascinated. I just held him up to make sure he didn't go back under, I couldn't bother with my secret right now.

When he gained some strength back, he pulled himself up onto the board. He then reached down to touch my tail in his awed state, but I quickly swished it away from him, scared that he might hurt me.

"M-M-M-Mermaids are real?" He questioned me.

Here we go.

Gah! Now I'm going to have to tell him I'm not a mermaid, but a witch. Let's just keep the wolf thing to our selves though.

I moved my hand to make a kinda sign. I talked, but my voice was sort of scratchy from not being used.

"Sorta. Mermaids are real, but I'm not a mermaid."

He just looked at me a little confused. "Then if your not a mermaid, what's up with the tail?"

"I'm a witch, so I can transform into pretty much anything if I cast the right spell." I answered, a little timid. If he did anything, I could just erase his memory.

"Wow! I thought mythical creatures were fake, and now here I am, talking to a witch that just saved my life. Oh, thanks by the way for that." He thanked me, remembering that I saved him.

"It was my fault in the first place, I accidentally slammed into you." I sighed.

"Oh, well thanks for not leaving me to die, I guess?" " His response was sheepish.

"It was either not be exposed and let you die, or expose myself, save your life and hope that you don't turn me in." I said, hoping he would catch on that I'm kinda scared of him.

"I won't turn you in, promise. Besides, unless I had proof, people would think I was crazy." He said softly.

"I'm Rick, by the way."

Rick had light brown hair with those sparkly, sky blue eyes that just make him look like a baby.

He had three tattoos on each arm, and he was built, not kidding. He's not my type though and I'm 16, he looks about 18.

"How old are you?" I asked him as we swam back to shore.

"19." He answered. Eh, close enough.

"I'm 16." I said.

"So where did you come from?" He asked, "Why were you out here anyways?"

"I came from Illinois, but moved here because of a 'problem', and I was out here because the 'problem' found me." I said referring to Ryder as 'problem.'

"Well, I can see this 'problem' is a problem so would you like to come with me for now?" He asked kindly, throwing in a horrible joke.

"Sure." I smiled because I had a feeling we were going to be great friends. He held a good aura.

When we got to the shoreline, I transformed back with black shorts on and a white tank top.

We walked up to the sidewalk and started down it when I heard a loud growl and by Rick looking around, he had heard it, too.

Knowing it was Ryder, I grabbed his hand and made him walk faster.

"What was that?" He asked me quietly.

"That was my 'problem.' I seethed.

"So your problem's a dog?" He asked amusingly.

"I'll tell you at your house." I said, hurrying him because I could sense Ryder following us.

Since I couldn't get Rick to run as fast as me because he didn't have super speed, and Ryder would follow us all the way, I pulled him into a men's bathroom and into a stall quickly.

"W-W-What are you doing?" He stuttered shakily.

I looked at him funny because he looked afraid, then when I knew what he was thinking about, I gagged.

"Ew! What the hell are you thinking?" I squealed, "We're just hiding because he's following us! Where do you live?"

"3289 River Road." He answered back quickly.

I held his hands and closed my eyes and then opened them, and noticed we were at a big grey and white mansion.

"You live here?" I asked with shock. He just nodded as we walked inside.

"Do you want anything?" He questioned while I sat down on the leather couch. I shook my head no and he sat down, looking at me.

"Tell me everything, girlfriend!" He exclaimed with fake pep in a high voice.

I just laughed.

"You sounded so gay."

After my comment, I started to tell him my life story.