16

paige heard voices around her head. she could hear faint mumbles of people saying her name and medical jargon and doctors names. she could her vacant yelling in the background.
she wanted to talk. she wanted to ask what was happening but nothing came out.

over the next few hours, she heard people go in and out. she slowly started to move her head and hands and eventually, was able to mumble a few words.

it took a while, but eventually she woke up.

"paige, do you know what happened?" meredith asked.

"no." she responded.

"you passed out from high blood pressure. you're okay, you were just stressed. we're gonna put you on some nifedipine. you'll be good to be discharged in an hour or so."

"what time is it?"

"it's two in the morning on the 28th. you've been out for over twenty four hours."

"fantastic." she whispered.

"you're fine." meredith teased walking out, "and your coming back to work for tonight night shift. so don't do anything stupid."

the two girls laughed as meredith left and paige went back to sleep.

when paige woke up, she felt dizzy and sick. when her vision was back to normal, she could see arizona standing outside of the room, yelling at the nurse who was taking care of her. paige wasn't sure what was going on. she tried to get out of bed but fell back.

"paige!" arizona called, running over. "stay in bed. let us help you out."
arizona took out the breathing tube paige didn't know was there.

"what happened?" paige asked.

"the nurse is an idiot. she gave you morphine instead of nifedipine."

"no i don't think so." paige said.

"great," arizona whispered. "the drugs are kicking in."

paige smiled big. today was gonna be long.

paige and arizona walked to the icu where jackson and maggie were.

paige ran up to them. "hi! hi. so i hope you're okay. i wasn't okay. i passed out. i'm fine though, i was stressed. oh my god. jackson you put me in the hospital! why would you- uh. wait why am i mad at you?"

"what's up with her?" jackson asked, redirecting his glance to arizona.

"the nurse gave her drugs instead of fluids."

"yikes." jackson laughed.

"i have to go to surgery." arizona said. "please do something with her. don't let her do anything stupid and don't let her be alone! and DO NOT let her see patients!"

jackson sighed. paige laughed and left the icu.

jackson found her by the vending machine buying chocolate bars.
"whatcha doing?" jackson asked.

"getting chocolate."

"why?"

"because it's good. oh my god you look like my chocolate bar. you're pretty."

"okay let's go." he said grabbing her and pulling her into the theatre. "stay here and wait. i just got paged to the er so i'm gonna go get someone to come in here and make sure you don't do anything stupid."

"bye. i love you."

jackson smiles awkwardly and walked out of the room. paige sat on the chair and looked around the windows. her body was just packed with morphine and she can't feel any of it. she feels like she's floating.

"how much morphine?" a girls voice said walking into the room.

"a lot." said jackson. "good luck."

he slammed the door and paige turned around to see jo standing by the door.

"josephine!" paige yelled, running up to hug her.

"get off." said jo. "besides accidentally getting high, are you okay? from your fall and everything?"

paige stared at the door. how do doors work? when people discover doors, how do they know where they are going? who created doors? why were doors created?

"paige! paige!" jo yelled.

paige snapped out of it and looked at jo.

"i'm fine. i'm pretty sure i'm fine. i think i'm not. i'm fine. pretty sure yeah. me fine. yeah. you're pretty."

"sit down." said jo. paige sat down and jo sat next to her. paige stared out the window, humming to herself. jo tried to concentrate on her charts.

"where is she?" amelia asked, barging in the door.

"right here." said jo, standing up.

amelia, betty, link, and leo walked into the room.

"you good?" asked amelia.

paige jumped up and started laughing loudly.

"oh crap." betty whispered.

"cmon jumpy," said link. "your coming with us."

paige laughed and followed the family out the door.