21

"happy birthday!" zola and bailey screamed, running into paiges room early that morning. paige shot up in bed and checked the date, january 7th, it was her birthday. she had been so distracted with work she barely even noticed. but clearly two little goblins did.

"thank you." she smiled. zola wrapped her arms around paiges neck.

"we made you pancakes for your birthday!"

"okay." said paige, "let's eat!" the three kids hopped out of bed and walked down the stairs. when they got down there, maggie plopped a birthday hat on her head. and smiled. paige smiled back and walked to the kitchen to see meredith, deluca, alex, jo, and baby ellis standing in the kitchen.

"good morning, birthday girl." alex said. paige smiled and hugged her friends. she took a seat at the table and meredith places two fluffy pancakes in front of her. the group chowed down on the breakfast before having to clean up and get ready for work.

unfortunately, surgeons don't get birthdays off.

when they pulled up to the hospital, paige walked in and was greeted with happy birthdays from her friends at the door. betty grabbed paiges hand and pulled her into the storage closet.

"yes?" she asked, staring at bettys very excited face.

"okay first- happy birthday. and i don't want to like.. rain down on you or steal your thunder or anything. but i have really good news!" she said excitedly, grabbing paiges hands.

"what?" paige asked.

"i passed. i got a neuro fellow under amelia. i'm an actual surgeon now!" betty whisper-yelled. paiges eyes shot open wide as she pulled her best friend into a tight hug.

"i'm so proud of you!" she smiled, her forehead resting on bettys. paiges heart started beating faster. the two parted ways and smiled. they left the closet and paige walked to the peds floor.

"hey meyers," arizona shouted. "will you scrub in on an abdominal reconstruction with me at three?"

"yeah for sure." paige smiled.

"great, meet me in peds 3 to meet the patient and go over scans and charts."

"you got it."

"does that sound like a plan?" arizona asked paige and the patient. both paige and the patient nodded there heads. the nurse took the patient out of the room to prep her and arizona turned around and looked at paige. "any last questions?" paige looked up and shook her head no. "is something wrong?" arizona asked.

"no."

"you seem distracted. you can tell me. you can trust me. and we have some time before the surgery."

paige sighed. "have you ever been in love?"

"she asked you?" jackson asked.

"yes," replied arizona. "i don't know why."

"does she know your gay?" alex said with a face full of hamburger.

"i mean, i think so. i've never talked to her about it but like, i pretty much wear it as a shield."

"i bet it's baileys kid. she was really worried about him when he came into the er." said alex, still, with a face full of hamburger.

"alex!" jackson yelled, "chew your damn food."

meredith and jo sat down at the table. "what are we talking about?" jo asked.

"oh, we think paige has a crush." said arizona happily.

"who?" jo gasped.

"that's what we're trying to figure out." said jackson.

meredith roller her eyes. "i think you guys should just stay out of her business. if she wants tell you she'll tell you and clearly she doesn't."

"your no fun." mumbles jackson, resulting in an eye roll from meredith.

"i'm a legal adult now." paige bragged to arizona when she got to the peds floor.

"of course! isn't link is throwing you a birthday party?"

"yeah i'm not excited."

"why?"

"my dad died two days after my third birthday, my mom almost overdosed the weekend before my tenth birthday. my friend died on my twelve birthday. my mom miscarried ten days before my eleventh. and i became homeless right after my fifteenth. i hate to break it to you, but if you celebrate my birthday- one of you will die. it's just the luck i have. the universe hates me."

"i'm so sorry, i didn't know. i can tell link to cancel."

"no no az it's fine. i was joking. id love to go to the party."

"okay good." she smiled and started walking away. "it starts at 5, don't be late!"

paige rolled her eyes and started charting.

ok so i'm like 99%- lesbian paige... and like 1%- straight paige so yeah if your homophobic leave pls :P