35

two months later, everything at the hospital was back to normal. jackson and april were married. jo's baby was healthy. paige was back at work. alex was head of peds. paige and betty had made their relationship official. amelia and link were engaged. everything was going strong.

it was almost july. summer and winter are always when the hospital is the busiest. today in particular, there was a multi car pileup on a highway that brought in almost twenty victims. a few of them were kids, and arizona was out sick. alex and paige were already knee deep in child trauma cases before lunch. paige was in and out of trauma rooms and operating rooms and never had time to take a break.

at lunch, paige sat by alex and jackson. the three of them stuffed their faces full of food before the next round of surgeries and medicine and dead babies.

paige sees a lot of dead babies.

"what are you doing for the gender thing?" jackson asked in between bites of a hamburger.

"oh nothing." alex replied. "probably just finding out from the ultra sound."

"that's so boring." amelia said, coming out of nowhere and sitting down.

"let me plan it." paige smiled. "i love this kind of stuff."

"why would we let you do that?" alex asked, stuffing down some fries.

"because i'm dying." paige said, dramatically. she tried to hold in a laugh.

"no your not. don't say that." alex said, a little too aggressively. paige wondered if he was kidding or not.

"let me plan it. please."

"fine. whatever." alex got up, ready for another surgery. paige smiled and got up, following him.

"hey." betty said, walking up to paige. "sorry i haven't seen you today, i've been swamped."

"oh no that's fine. i just got out of my third surgery."

"amelia has me doing all her consults while she does the fun stuff."

paige looked down at her pager. "crap. hunts paging me to er."

"another kid? why have so many kids been brought in?"

"i have no idea."

"well, good luck. try not to kill any babies." betty teased, getting on the elevator. paige rolled her eyes and ran to the pit.

"hunt, what do you need?" paige called to owen.

"six year old with a abdominal pain in trauma four."

paige nodded and walked into the trauma room. "get me an ultra sound." she ordered a nurse. the nurse nodded and paige took a deep breath. she felt her hands begin to shake. for a moment, she questioned if she should be back. she'd been wondering that all day. she wasn't sure if she was ready for this yet.

that night, she met up with jo after shift.

"alex hates you." she said. paige looked at her confused.

"why would alex hate me?"

"because you use the fact that your dying as an excuse for things and you keep bringing it up. he doesn't want to think about it."

"why does he care? it's not like he's dying?"

"he loves you, that's why. he loves you so much. and he doesn't want to loose you. he wants to think of the happy stuff."

paige stopped. she thought about that for a second.

does alex really care that much?

paige sat at joes with her friends, drinking a soda. "you better live long enough to drink with us." arizona joked. paige laughed and nodded.

bailey walked into joes with a bitchy face.

"meyers! nelson!" she commanded. the two girls nervously ran towards her. bailey rolled her eyes. "i need you two to be the new teachers for the surgeon in training program. you will teach and test the next round of college kids wanting to be surgeons." she said, trying not to smile.

paige looked at betty, and they both smiled. "we would love too." paige said, a little too loudly.

bailey smiled and left the bar. as paige watched her superintendent walk out of the bar, her smile faded. "is bailey being so nice to me because im getting sick?" paige whispered to her girlfriend.

"i don't know."

"i hope not."

"hey! come here!" jackson yelled too the two girls. they walked over to the group and told them the news. the group toasted to the big news. paige was so glad to be happy and laughing with the people she loved.

she just wished it could last forever.