20

"paige. paige!" alex yelled. paige shook herself out of herself and looked at alex.
"you were day dreaming." he said. "you've been standing outside webber's door for like an hour."

paige relaxed. it was just a horrible day dream. she held her breath and walked into webber's office.

"paige, obviously you passed. you've been at the top of your class since you got here. you passed with a score of 407. which is very impressive." he handed her an envelope. "this is the official grant for the peds fellowship. as of today you are officially a top-class pediatrics fellow. congratulations, dr. meyers."

she let out a breath and smiled wide. "thank you, dr. webber. it really means a lot."

he smiled. "of course."

paige held the envelope close to her chest and walked out of his office. she walked to the nurses station, in hopes of finding mer or jackson or levi or jo or anyone, really. she just wants to tell everyone. she was so excited. when she opened the door to the nurses station she saw all of her doctor friends standing on the stairs.

"congratulations!" they yelled as she walked out. she smiled wide. and looked at everyone. everyone was here, this was going to be great.

"congratulations! i'm so proud of you!" exclaimed jo, wrapping her in a hug. she smiled. she was sucked into hugs by meredith, alex, jackson, april, owen, arizona, andrew, levi, miranda, ben, tuck, nico, amelia, link, and all her other friends at grey-sloan memorial hospital. the conversations held on for a few minutes, before bailey and webber kicked everyone out and to their own surgeries.

when everyone left, paige stood alone with the other surgeon in training students.

"did you find out?" she asked her friends.

"nope." "no." "not yet." her classmates replied. betty whispered in her ear, "besides you, everyone that knows, failed. only a few people made it. you were one of them. but eight of these guys failed. four of us still have to find out if we passed or not. but it's not looking good."

"so most people failed and i passed? how is that possible?"

"because you're an amazing doctor." betty exclaimed.

"well no, i still have a lot to learn. but at least i get to stay. i don't have to clean out my locker in a box. and owen and alex don't hate me, so that's good."

"uh, what?" betty asked, concerned.

"you don't want to know."

"you're right. i don't."

that day after work, the doctors all left to amelia and links house. the past week had felt like the slowest week in eternity. but today was the last day of december. this has been a crazy year. but she did it. and she was so proud of herself. she finished a four-year program in two years. she helped many kids from other sit programs do the same. she performed many successful surgeries. she made many, many friends. she overcame being raped. she overcame being homeless. she turned her life around. and now she is a peds fellow at one of the top hospitals in the world, working under two of the best mentors- and friends- in the world. her life is finally perfect, and she couldn't wait to see where it goes. it can only get better from here.

oh if only she knew...

paige sat on the barstool in links kitchen. she tapped her fingers on the counter, bored.

"hey." betty said, coming up behind her.

"hey."

"it's been a hell of a year, hasn't it?"

paige chuckled. "no kidding. have you heard anything about the test yet?"

"no. i'm hoping i pass though. amelia offered me a neuro fellow. i would love to work with her everyday. if she's as good a teacher as she is a mother- or foster mother- then i think i'm pretty much set up for success."

"i think you'll do great. and amelia would be lucky to have you as a doctor. plus we haven't had another good neuro doctor for her, all we got was tom korassick."

the girls laughed.

"the countdowns starting!" amelia yelled. the two girls walked over to the tv.

"you don't have someone to kiss at midnight." april teased paige.

"kissing at midnight is the most dumb and cliche thing ever."

"whatever you say." said april, looking at jackson.

"ten."

"nine."

"eight."

"seven."

"six."

"five."

"four."

"three."

"two."

"one."

"happy new year!" everyone screamed. paige and betty looked at all the happy couples kissing, and made grossed out faces at each other- followed by laughter.

the group started to hug and cheer and drink.

this was the best new years ever.

her life was going perfectly.

let's see how long that lasts.