Chapter Twenty Nine

View from Alfie's apartment

Recommended song-
March 12, 2020

Alfie's POV

Garrett poured Alfie's  coffee and Alfie set Garrett's breakfast on the table. He flipped on the news and braced for more bad news on the covid front. Every day it was spreading quickly throughout the world.

The news was grim.

Provincial health authorities in B.C. are recommending against all non-essential travel outside of Canada, including across the border to the United States, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

"Aw dang. Eddie was going to Cuba with the family. I guess that's not happening." Garrett said.

Anyone who does choose to travel or who is currently abroad and returning in the days ahead should self-isolate for 14 days, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Thursday. She is also calling for the cancellation of gatherings of more than 250 people.

"Well that means no playing at the club for a while. I guess the convention is cancelled too, right? Garrett said frowning

"Yeah. I think so. You should call Sharon later." Alfie suggested.

Nationally, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife are in self-isolation over COVID-19 concerns, the prime minister's office announced Thursday morning. Sophie Grégoire Trudeau began showing flu-like symptoms after returning from a trip to the United Kingdom.

The prime minister is not experiencing symptoms, but has decided to self-isolate and work from home out of an abundance of caution while his wife's test results are processed.

The coronavirus outbreak is now being called a pandemic as of Wednesday, the WHO said, as the number of people infected rose to more than 118,000 in 114 countries, with 4,291 deaths. In the United States, President Donald Trump announced a European travel ban, along with financial relief for affected workers.

Alfie frowned. "I will call my Dad later, see if he knows anymore than we do."

"That's a good idea. You should get going though, you're going to be late. I will pack you a quick lunch while you get ready."

"Thank you Bear." Alfie said wrapping his arms around his waist and rubbing his cheek on his hairy chest.

"Pack an extra one for Ed, would ya?" He called from the bathroom.

"Already done darlin'".

He left a few minutes early so he could check in on the soup kitchen. Alfie knew that if there were more closures that the soup kitchen and shelters would be affected.

With the limited finances and resources available it put them in a bad spot. Relying on the government for assistance did not give him any confidence. No, they would have to keep one step ahead with preparing for the pandemic. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

He greeted everyone at the soup kitchen and made his way to the back to see if Marcia was in. They voiced their concerns but didn't know what else to do but wait. They knew that closing the shelters and soup kitchens would be disastrous to the community that relied on them. They would have to come up with a plan so they could carry on with their work and still fall in with the guidelines that were set out for them. They promised to talk later and Alfie waved goodbye.

"Goodmorning Ed" he said to the elderly man. Ed didn't reply but he did look in his direction so Alfie knew he heard him.

"There's a lunch here Ed. Go warm up at the soup kitchen later. Someone brought in some knitted mittens so grab a pair while you are there" Alfie said. Ed slightly nodded his acknowledgment.

"Ok then Ed. Have a good day" Alfie said and waved him goodbye.

He thought about Garrett as he walked through the hallway on his way to his class. They hadn't talked about his meeting with Cal, what was said, how he felt. Alfie knew when to ask and when to give him space.

With all of their plans cancelled for the weekend Alfie thought of what he would like to do now that a lot of free time had opened up for them.

Actually, it freed up a lot of time for his family too. The more he thought about it the bigger his smile grew. Benjamin and Tyler would probably be free now too. Maybe he will invite  Allison and her family too. This was perfect, he thought.

Covid was going to hit hard, there was no stopping the pandemic that was beating down the door. This might be the only opportunity that they had to gather like this for quite some time.

He texted his Dad between classes and Alfred Sr. agreed that it was a great idea and everyone was welcome and there was more than enough room. He and Natalie would take care of the food. Guests just needed to bring along their bedding and clothing and they would be set.

He quickly called Garrett before his class.

"Do you have plans for the weekend?"

"Not anymore Darlin." Garrett chuckled.

"Well this might be the last time for a big get together for a long time so we're going to the family cabin this weekend. Us, mom and dad, Noah, Liam, I'm going to ask Tyler and Benjamin and it would be nice for you to ask Allison and her family. What do you think?"

"That sounds amazing!!" Garrett was thrilled. "There will be enough room for all of us?" He asked.

"Yep, there's three rooms with bunk beds, a kitchen, bathroom and living room with a fireplace. It's not fancy, it's been in the family since the 30's, it's awesome. You will love it. I can teach you how to cross country ski and we can just hang out and relax with everyone."

Garrett was quiet for a moment. "Um" he began nervously.

"Yeah?" Alfie was curious what he was nervous with asking.

"Can we invite Cal and his baby? I think he would enjoy it."

Alfie was surprised. Really surprised. Garrett was quite possibly the kindest person he had ever known. It was one thing to forgive Cal but to befriend him was really remarkable.

"Bear, that is a wonderful idea."