Chapter Thirty Three

March 13, 2020

Recommended song -

Cal's POV

Cal felt comforted by Allison's gentle squeeze of his hand and grateful for her kindness. He smiled back at her then looked around the room at the wonderful people who simply accepted him being there. He never wanted to forget this feeling.

He watched Noah come towards him with two plates. He sat down and slid a plate to Cal.

"You're busy with Sam so I got you a plate. Wasn't sure what you like so it's a bit of everything. He placed the condiments,that he had tucked under his arm, on the table.

"Everyone has their preferences for hamburgers so it's just easier to being them to you" Noah said laughing.

Cal was touched by the simple gesture.

"Thank you so much Noah, that was really thoughtful." Cal said. Was that a blush on Noah's face? Cal wondered. Na, he wouldn't be blushing over that. He answered his own question in his mind and set about eatting his burger and feeding Sam his jarred food.

"What's his favorite?" Noah asked, gesturing to Sam's food.

"It changes constantly, but the past couple of days it's the sweet potatoes and chicken stew." Cal said shrugging. "Last week he couldn't get enough of the bananas". He laughed.

"You're doing a really good job with him". Noah said sincerely.

Cal stopped mid bite and set his burger down. He was overwhelmed. "Really?" He asked, not to fish for compliments but because of his insecurities as a father.

Noah turned to look at him. "I mean it. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. You're a natural born father and I think you are doing a great job. He's a lucky little boy." Noah said seriously, talking quietly so only they could hear. Cal could only nod, not trusting himself to speak and turned his attention back to Sam who had his mouth open waiting for the next spoonful of mushy goodness.

He's so kind, Cal thought and his heart warmed.

Alfie's POV

Alfie couldn't help watch the conversation between Cal and Noah. He didn't know what was said but it had left Cal a little emotional he noted. He turned his attention towards Garrett.

"Bear?" He whispered.

"Hmm?"

"What's with Noah and Cal?" He asked quietly.

Garrett looked up and didn't see anything unusual. He didn't know what to say.

"Nothing. Why?" He asked confused.

"Just watch. You'll see." Alfie smiled and returned his attention back to his supper.

Garrett shrugged and carried on devouring his burger.

"So boys, should we go for a walk after supper or play a board game?"

"Walk!" Jace answered. "Game" Mason called out, both at the same time.

Alfie just laughed. "Well I'm sure some of us would like to go for a walk and some of us would like to play a game." He smiled at the boys. "We still have time before we have a campfire and then it's bedtime."

The boys were pleased with this. Alfie and Garrett gathered up their plates when they were done and kicked Alfie's parents out of the kitchen.

"You made dinner, we will do dishes." Alfie said hugging his stepmom. Thanks for making the pasta salad. It's the best."

Natalie laughed. "I know you love it".

Garrett and Alfie chatted while doing dishes. They could enjoy anything if they were together. Most of the things they enjoyed doing others would consider mundane but Alfie and Garrett were quiet homebodies so they enjoyed everything together.

Garrett leaned down and kissed his boyfriend. "I love you." He said tenderly.

"I love you too. So much." Alfie returned the kiss and they carried on chatting and doing the dishes.

Thirty minutes later and the kitchen was spotless and the boys were eager to have some fun. Alfred Sr., Natalie, Liam, Allison, Adam and Josie decided a walk would be a nice way to unwind and waited for Jace to get his boots, coat, touque and mittens on.

"We will be back soon." Adam called out.

"Mason, let's go see what games we can find" Alfie said bringing him to the games cupboard. There were dozens of games, books, puzzles, coloring books, a few toys that had gotten forgotten over the years and Mason was excited as he looked at the selection.

Cal took Sam to the bedroom to change his diaper, wash him up and get him in his jammies. Mason noticed Cal going to his room and suddenly remembered the bag.

He ran to his room and after a minute found it and ran to the room that Cal was in. Alfie didn't know why Mason had run off so just watched him until he returned.

"I forgot to give you this." He said to a surprised Cal. Masons outstretched arm held a bag and Cal hesitated.

"Are you sure it's for me Mason?"

"Well it's not for you." Mason giggled while Cal raised his eyebrows. "It's for Sam!"

Cal just laughed. "Ok then. Let's see what we have in here" Cal said dramatically to humor the young boy.

"It was some stuff of Josie's that mom thought you would like. The blankets are new. Mom knits a lot." Mason said smiling up at the man.

Cal was touched. He looked at the baby board books, little toys, two knit blankets and two soft Gund animals, a hippo and and elephant.

He bent down and hugged the boy. "Thank you very much Mason. Sam will love this."

"You're welcome. I'm going to pick the game now." And with that the boy was gone.

"Hey Mason. You're back. Have you decided on a game?"

"Yup" he reached for the deck of cards. "Old maid."

"Oh good. Nice choice. Let's go sit at the table. Go get your uncle and tell him we're ready." Alfie said kindly.

"Noah do you want to play too?" He asked already knowing the answer.

"No thanks. I'm going to see if Cal wants to play chess." Noah said walking into the room where Cal and Sam were.

Alfie smiled knowingly. Of course you are Alfie thought with humor.