24 Don't Worry

~Vixen~

~Vixen~

The drive to the abandoned factory was quiet with Valerio. We haven't exchanged any words to each other since the apartment.

Not that I minded. I had nothing else to talk about. I felt ashamed that I let myself sleep with him again. It was a moment of weakness and I wasn't going to let it happen again. Even though a part of me wanted it.

Sex with Valerio was earth-shattering. It was the best experience I've ever had. But he was my enemy and I needed to avoid him at all costs.

Agh, just knowing that its forbidden just makes it that much hotter.

I look over at him as we sat on the hood of my car. We showed up ten minutes early so there was nothing to do but just wait. Matteo texted saying he would be here any minute with the money and hostage.

Valerio's expression was nonreadable and his gaze was set forward. I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking about.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

He looked at me and his sharp blue eyes that studied my face. He gritted his teeth and clenched his jaw. Watching the sharp outline of his jaw made him more attractive if that was even possible. Jeez, Vixen get your head together.

"I need you to know I am truly sorry about what went down with your brother." My stomach tightened and I realized it was hours since River crossed my mind. I felt guilty about it because I was with the man who sent him to his death.

"I highly doubt that."

He furrowed his brows together. "Why?"

"Because you've been planning on taking River down for months. He only agreed to your little agreement because he thought it would bring peace. River was a great leader—he was selfless and cared about his people. He just wanted to have clean relationships with our allies. You played your hand and he fell for it." My voice was angry, yet I could hear the sadness in it as well.

Valerio looked angry at my accusations. "That was not my intension Vixen. I told him who he was dealing with. When I mentioned Mia being kidnapped, he told me he would do anything he could to help. Sure, we had out issues before, but I never wanted him dead. I—" He paused and gritted his teeth once again and looked away from me. "I would never want to bring that kind of pain upon you."

My mouth gaped open as a million questions crossed my mind, but I needed to know one more than any of them.

"Who set us up Valerio? I need you to tell me everything you know."

"I don't know who they are— They're like ghosts. I've spent these last few weeks trying to get as much information as possible but..." He lets out a curse word and tightens his grip on my hood. "As I said, they are like ghosts."

Fuck. I was really hoping for more information. My mind went back to his comment about not wanting to bring pain upon me. I wanted to ask him about it, but a set of headlights approached us.