Seventeen.

It's been a few weeks since Hillary's funeral, and everything has changed so much in such a short time. Evan begged my parents to start up the building project again, so he's been gone since a week after the funeral.

They broke ground a couple weeks ago, so it'll be another weeks before I get to see him again. If he comes home. He's definitely been struggling. I've been trying my best to give him the space he needs while also being there for him, and I think he's getting annoyed by that.

"Have you talked to him?" Riley snaps me out of my thoughts, while I'm leaning against the countertop at the cafe. I glance over at her, and shake my head.

"He won't talk to me. Plus he's busy. He's still mourning, but how far is too far on how he's acting towards me?"

"What's he been doing?" She questions, grabbing a chocolate chip muffin from the display, and taking a bite.

"When he isn't ignoring me, he has a short temper. He flipped shit the other day when I asked if I could come see him to make sure he was okay." I let out a sigh, burying my head in my hands.

"Wait, what did he say?" She hops onto a stool behind the counter, continuing to eat her muffin.

"He said 'no, I don't need a fucking babysitter', then hung up on me, and we haven't talked since. I haven't even tried to contact him. I don't know what the fuck to do."

"I get that he's mourning, but him treating you like shit isn't it. Maybe go to Fresno and try talking to him in person?" She suggests. I toss the idea around in my head, trying to decided that's a good idea or not.

"I really think he just wants me to stay away from him." I sigh, shaking my head. "I'll let him come to me."

We've been together a little over two months, and I already don't know where this relationship is heading. A month ago, I didn't think anything could break us. But a month ago, we also never thought Hillary wouldn't make it.

——

Today is the day Evan is supposed to come home, only to find out, he isn't. So, I've decided to make the trip to Fresno. It's been a month since I've seen him, and we've barely talked. I need to see my baby. I need to make sure he's okay.

Even though I truly know he isn't.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Riley asks, as I pack my overnight bag into my Jeep. I brought a couple outfits, in case he wants me to stay, but I don't want to push it.

"I'm sure. I don't know what state he is mentally, so I feel bringing anyone else would be crossing the line. I don't even know how he's going to react to me coming." I sigh, closing my passenger door.

"He better be fucking excited. Don't stand for anything less, especially how he's acted the last month." She tells me, hands on her hips.

"I'm leaving now. Bye, Riley." I roll my eyes, giving her a quick hug.

"Be careful! Let me know what happens!" She waves as I get into my Jeep. I wave back, and drive off.

——

Thankfully, my parents gave me the room number for Evan's room, since I didn't want to ruin the surprise of coming to see him. I'm currently outside his door. I knock on it, and wait for an answer.

The door swings open, and his eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Shay? Why are you here?" Ouch. Not the greeting I expected.

"I wanted to make sure you're okay." I smile, taking a step towards him. He takes a step back, and I feel the first stab to my heart. "Ev?"

"You shouldn't have come here, Sasha." He tells me, crossing his arms over his chest. "You should go."

"What's going on Evan? Why are you acting like this?" He sighs, and steps backwards into his hotel room, and I follow him inside, shutting the door behind me.

"I don't need you to check up on me. I'm fine." He's angry for some reason, but I don't know why.

"I just thought it would be nice to surprise you. Get you out of this room for a bit." I say softly, trying to not make the situation worse.

"I don't need that, Shay! I don't need to get out of this room and go fucking sight seeing. I don't need to be babysat or checked on!" He yells, making me jump.

"I... I'm sorry." I whisper, not sure what to say.

"I don't need your apologies, either. I need you to leave."

"Why are you acting like this?" The tears are now falling down my cheeks, and I don't make an attempt to wipe them away.

"Because I don't need you, Sasha! Don't you fucking get that?! I don't need you! So go home!" He yells, and it's the final stab to my heart. I turn on my heels, and storm out of the hotel room.

——

Another four hour drive later, and I'm parked in front of the cafe again. The tears have only slightly subsided. Just thinking about his words again, I start to sob.

"Holy shit! What happened?" Riley asks, coming out of the bakery. She opens the door to my Jeep, and gets in the passenger seat. "Shay? What happened?"

"I... I think we broke up." I sob, and she pulls me into a hug. "He said he doesn't need me."

"That mother fucker." She mutters. "Shhh, it's okay Shay. You don't need him either then."

"But I do. I do need him, Ri. He's everything I've always wanted. But he doesn't need me anymore. He doesn't want me anymore." I continue to sob, and I notice Riley dialing a number on her phone.

"Get to the cafe, Colton. Now."