Unraveling Layers

Son Yejin POV

Taken, he asked?

"Did you just propose to court me?"

He smiled.
"Sort of. I don't want to waste your time if you're not interested."

"Eyes can catch the attractiveness from the first glance but heart works in a different way."

"Then what is your answer?"

"Let's just say that I am available."

"Available. How come you're still available?"

"Actually my brother has been trying to set me up with some guys he knew but none was working. I have my own type."

"Your own brother is a matchmaker?

"A very protective one, always in control of everything, and one of his goals is to make sure that I get to marry someone who can fulfill his criteria. Why doesn't he just marry the man himself,  though."

"So in order to date you, do we need his approval?"

"Sort of. Come on, we just met. What are you talking about though? Can we move from this topic? What do you do for a living, Hyun Bin?"

"Alright. I am an architect, but lately, I've been doing a blog. Have you ever read SoStoked?"

"Of course! Who doesn't read SoStoked? Are you the writer? Don't kid cause I might end up asking for your signature!"

"Signature? Ask for my surname, I'm so willing to give you."

"Please...are you always this flirty? Back to SoStoked! I'm a regular reader of SoStoked. You highlighted hot issues nationwide, you have the flair for writing persuasive articles. I don't expect that the writer lives in this small city. I thought that he or she lives in Seoul or Busan at least. But lately, SoStoked has brought an issue of the Kochang gold mine, actually, I was wondering why...all of a sudden that goldmine was highlighted there?"

"I don't know that I have a reader who looks this pretty. I should hold a fans meeting then."

Oh God, this man, he was aware of his good looking features. I instantly chuckled hearing his confidence. I decided to ask him more about his articles about Kochang, as it might be useful for Woojin.

"Why are you against the reopening of Kochang? Are you part of the resistance group?"

"Hmmm sort of, through SoStoked. You read it, didn't you? it was simple. Mine will damage the environment. GoldenSon will cut down trees around Kochang. It will harm the ecological balance of a wooded region. Cyanide will be used to extract gold and will contaminate the soil and water in a nearby dam. Those are more than enough to answer why I am against the reopening of Kochang. Why doesn't GoldenSon just go and find another site that located far enough from the civilian area?"

"I see your point. But GoldenSon will replant for every cut trees, and I heard they don't use cyanide anymore."

"Trees take time to grow, and who will control them? Let's say the mine was reopened then GoldenSon plant the trees, no one is going to control. For the cyanide, then what? It must be another hard chemical."

"Why the GoldenSon still hasn't started their operation yet?"

"They're waiting for the mayor's permit. I'm sure they are funding the incumbent mayor's campaign. But in six or seven years when they were done digging golds, they will leave after this area becomes arid and is turned into a desert."

I felt uncomfortable with the fact that I was one of GoldenSon's heir. I wanted to tell him but a part of me was scared that he will back off. I liked having him as a companion. I wanted friendship.