Pt.33 Slow and steady

Chapter 33

Maksim sat on the edge of the bed as he watched Ella brush out her hair and then fix the gray sweater she wore. A relaxed smile played on his lips as she took her time to get ready in front of him.

"Where are we going?" Maksim asked once Ella finished.

"We're going home," Ella joked. She expected Maksim to crack a smile but instead his face fell and he grew serious.

"Ella...." Maksim took a step back from her. "I'm not going back."

Ella faced her mate and frowned. She felt her heart twist from the look of sadness in his eyes. He was hurt from what Mavi had done, which was understandable. But she was worried he may still be lost about the reason behind their action.

Not wanting to burn the bridge she had worked so hard to build towards him, Ella decided to drop the subject. It wasn't the right time to push him to talk.

"So you want me to stay here with you forever?" Ella smiled as she wrapped her arms around Maksim and looked up at him.

Maksim smiled, despite the tension in his eyes. "Yes.....I want you to stay with me forever."

"What happened to Leave, Ella."

Maksim rolled his eyes, making Ella laugh. He cupped her face and brought his lips down to warm hers.

"I'm sorry," he murmured against her mouth. "I was really upset.....I think I'm still not fully over it...... but I love you so much and I don't want to risk us."

Ella melted against his lips as he spoke and kissed her. She pushed to her tippy toes just as he picked her off the ground to unit their lips. Ella's feet dangled off the floor as Maksim held her against him and teased her.

"I love you," Ella whispered as Maksim sat her back down. "And I'm sorry too....."

"We're really trouble for each other, Ell," Maksim said as he leaned his head against her.

"How so?"

"We're both too stubborn. I'm rash and hotheaded, but you're calculated and thoughtful. We're going to be budding heads forever."

"Or we will exist in perfect harmony," Ella kissed his cheek. "We just have to find our rhythm."

A sneaky smirk appeared on Maksim's lips as he chuckled, "I mean, we had pretty good rhythm this morning, don't you think?"

"Max!" Ella blushed as she hid her face in his chest.

"Oh don't be so shy," Maksim laughed. "What happened to my vixen putting on a show for me in that shop yesterday?"

"Stop it," Ella pushed away from him blushing. She picked up her coat and Maksim held it for her as she slipped her arms in.

"You know, that lady thinks I'm your husband now," he whispered in her ear. "Maybe I should put a ring on it. And if I remember correctly, I did beg you to marry me."

Ella slowly turned to face him with a frown on her face, "You really do the most. If I wasn't so upset with you back then, I would have hit you."

"Why?"

"Did you really think asking me to marry you at that time was appropriate?"

"I was desperate," Maksim frowned.

"Max," Ella sighed. "You will be king one day. You can't just blurt words out. I don't know if you know how much power your words hold."

"I don't think I have to worry about that anymore," Maksim shrugged. "That's Clare's problem now."