Chapter 11: A Not-So IIconic Crossroads (L)

~BILLIE'S POV~

I was standing outside Peyton and PJ's apartment, thinking whether knocking would be a good idea or not. I thought of how I ran away, and why, and how it was so hard to deal with the nightmares without my friend there with me...

But, I also remembered that...he chose her...I tried so hard to get him to love me and she didn't even do anything! I just...I wanted it more...

I raised my fist to knock, but again, I hesitated. I'll be honest, I didn't think I should knock, I thought that if I did, things wouldn't go well.

But, I still did it. I knocked quietly, almost hoping they didn't hear it. Unfortunately, the door opened and I saw him there...

"Jessica? What's going on?" He asked me with surprising concern in his voice. The use of my real name is what broke me, along with the concern. All I could do was hug him with tears threatening to leave my eyes.

"C...Can I...stay here?" I asked him quietly. He took a moment to respond, but he wrapped his arms around me.

"Of course you can..." He told me, so I let the tears fall, and hugged him tighter. He hugged me a little tighter too, but he was just comforting me...I could tell...

After a few minutes, he sat me down on the couch on the opposite side as Peyton. I looked at her with an apologetic look, but she just lightly looked away.

"Jess...can you tell us why you ran away?" PJ asked me, still concerned. It broke my heart to hear him so worried, so I almost started crying again.

"Hey, you don't have to tell us if you don't think you can." He told me, putting a hand on my knee. His touch...it was like it was taunting me...I just wanted him to touch me more...

"I-I...I can't...not now..." I told him, wiping my eyes. He sighed a little and nodded, taking his hand off my knee. I almost grabbed his hand to keep it on me, but I didn't.

He sat up on the couch between Peyton and I, and I saw her put her head on his shoulder. I wanted that to be me...

A little later, I was in the spare bedroom, just sitting on the bed, afraid to go to sleep because of those nightmares. They never stopped, if anything, they got worse.

I sat there for what felt like an hour until there was a knock at the door.

"Come in..." I said quietly, but loud enough for whoever it was to hear. They opened the door, and in walked PJ.

"Phoenix? What are you doing in here?" I asked, using his real name. He smirked at this.

"Well, if we're using real names all of a sudden, I'll tell you Jessica." He told me with emphasis on my name. I chuckled a little, then he sat beside me.

"I told Peyton I was going to check on you. I mean, you have pretty violent nightmares, so I checked if you were okay." He told me, which made me smile. Knowing he still cared about me gave me some hope.

"Thank you Phoenix...but I don't think I'm going to sleep any time soon..." I told him, rubbing my legs. He sighed a little, so I looked at him.

"How about...How about I stay in here? Maybe you won't have a nightmare if you have someone with you..." He told me, rubbing his head. He was nervous, but I didn't want to let this opportunity slip.

"Y-Yeah, I'd like that..." I told him, so he stood up. I didn't want him to go, so I instinctually shot my hands out and grabbed his hand. I don't know why it was instinct, but I just had to do it.

"Wh-where are you going?" I asked him, which made him look back casually, but seeing my face made him upset. I looked really upset. I really didn't want him to leave.