17. ONLY THE BEGINNING

REMI

 Robyn Nicole Taylor is probably the most stubborn and unshakable person I have ever met. Her refusing the house really confused and angered me. Why would we not take it? She must love the struggle she's going through, for real. It's a house I could definitely get use to. We can make it our home. 

A real home. 

We don't have to stay at other people's homes. I was hoping that I didn't have to stay here much longer. I want to wake up and not worry about looking presentable before I step out of my room and face people. I want to be able to put my feet up on the couch and not worry about sitting up properly in a stranger's home. 

I just hope she comes around. I know she's going to get tired of living in a hotel. We obviously have enough money to be on our own and living better than before, I just don't know why Robyn is keeping a hold of all this money she has raised and never actually using it. 

I'm not stupid, I know we have money stacked in the old apartment. I'm pretty sure Robyn already got a hold of it. There was probably millions in that safe behind her closet. 

Yes, millions. 

Of course. I've tried to crack the safe open. I tried our birthdays including my dad's. Even the date my mother passed away. Nothing. I couldn't get the thing to open for nothing and I still can't. 

I'm laying on the bed thinking of a way of convincing Robyn and come up with nothing but pleading and begging. So I get up when I hear someone open the front door. 

I roam in the kitchen when I see Alex rummaging through the fridge and pulls out a Gatorade and jugs it down quickly. 

I immediately regret coming down out of curiosity as Alex glares at me then goes back to drinking his Gatorade. 

He's sweaty in his T-shirt and basketball shorts. I'm guessing he just came back from shooting hoops with his friends from the nearby gym and recreation center. 

I start to leave the kitchen with a bottle of water I retrieved from the fridge to make it look like I didn't just come down here to stare at him.

"How was house shopping?" He asks before I leave. 

I turn back around. Why would he care? "Um, it was okay. Not too successful." 

"How come? Didn't see any houses you liked?"

"Yes and no."

"Why no?" Now he's making conversation, when I'm trying to escape? 

"We ended up finding a nice one but my sister hasn't decided if she wants to buy it yet." Even though she doesn't necessarily have to buy it. It's already been bought. 

"Hopefully she buys it."

"Yeah, I hope so too." I sigh. 

"What are you doing today? It's still early. There's a pool party I'm about to head to. Wanna come?" 

"You're inviting me out with you?" I am curious as to why. This is the most we've ever spoken. 

"Uh, yeah? But if you don't want to you don't have to, I mean-"

"No, no, no. I want to go. When?" He seems startled that I agreed to go with him. 

"Can you be ready in about an hour? forty-five minutes?" I nod and we go our separate ways. 

I go in my room and go on a hunt to find one of my cute swim suits while I dial Audrey. I know I'm not going to socialize with anyone else there other than her.