Chapter 5

September 3, I woke up and the sky was black, a storm is brewing. Martin said that everything will be fine, the only problem being that it the electricity will be cut off it lightning occurs.

Everyone was bothered about the lights being out. Ryder informed us that nothing worse could happen, but we stayed vigil. Even if we're on vacation, our rescue experience (and some slight anxiety) can be agitating.

Since there is nothing to do, I went to the basement. Gathering 2-3 folders to read upstairs, I saw this big book. I opened it, it was a newspaper binder, filled with a bunch of information.

Seeing I'm more amused than this, and that this may have the same informations as the rest of the folders, I took it instead. Of course, I checked the dates on the folders I had.

September 7, 1926 , here
September 7, 1950, there
And September 7, -2019, again.

Rattled, a shiver went down my spine. I revisit the first folders, I've read. I wasn't sure for what I'm searching at first, but there it is.

*Presumed Time of death: 9/7/2001 12:00nn

I scatter the rest of the folders. Each one of the folders in that drawer had the same date over and over again.

Wind blew behind me. I turn, there was no window. Scared of being alone in the basement,  I ran, with the book on my back. I rushed to my room, not looking back to Ryder or the rest of the pups.

Opening the big book, I looked for answers.

The night of the hysteria

People doing unspeakable things.

Nehfer city, Cursed City

One Unholy Night

The headlines for this day alone goes on, and on, and on. I read through the lines.

"People say that there was nothing wrong with the City. Posing the idea of the other's mental incapabilities as a threat to those in town, that are capable.

Theories begun sprawling the surface, as the dreaded day summons a new. People saying it's devil's work, that the church will shield them from the madness. It takes form of your desires, only for you to fall into it. Saying that, if you were weak in spirit, you will never free yourself from its grasps.

Some saying that being alone at this time makes you vulnerable to it's bargain. Saying people who are isolated from the rest will be punished, for being unacceptable. Those who are banish from the community are killed by it, that you need the community's approval to survive.

Others saying that it feeds off of emotions of regret or something of the past, that you cling onto. That repentance of it will give you immunity to its bargains. Those who are dreading on something, or someone, will make it stronger and more irresistible, making you more irresponsible."

-Head writer and Reporter, C. ANAISE , ----

My mouth felt dry. I swallowed, only to hurt the back of my throat. Rushing to get answers, I flipped to the next day. At least 35 articles are talking about, September 7, and another 35 for the next day.

I noticed something off about the first page, tackling about the day after what happened.

The headlines were dull, it felt rushed and under budget, like an amateur made it. I couldn't find the same reporter as I scan through the rest. On the last one, I saw her name in a separate page, it felt weird.

The paper felt smooth, like it wasn't touched by whoever put it there. It felt printed on the page, which is wrong, it should be a separate news paper. I look at it again, the ink looked fresh, almost brand new. The scent of news paper made it believable, but I don't buy it.