Chapter 15

Part 1

"Run! Keep Running!"

Why is my voice like this? It's more demanding of hope, than it is giving hope.

"If we're going back, to where it all started, where I should've been."

"You know where to go. Be careful, there are people in that direction."

The sounds of our paws trample the ground, echoing to the empty forest. The uncharted areas make it more and more distracting, and more crazy.

"No time to waste, if not, we will be stuck here!"

I can't hear myself, only the padded running and the heavy breathing. I turn left, right, right, then another left. I don't fully know the way there. I only follow the voice in my head, but it's better than letting those people take charge of our lives.

I was distracted by my thoughts that I let myself trample painful stones, like it were a soft bed. I let myself get slapped by various bushes, like it were soft fur hugging my own. I let myself immerse this feeling of despair like it were my first time feeling pleasure.

My mind blanks... then, we hear it, something that is naturally satisfying and, at the same time, horrifying. With this, we should be able to go back... I hope. If we don't make it out, then at least we won't be stuck here; alive.

"It's over there! That's our way out!"

I proceed to follow the voice, it knows more than what I do. I was about to go and ahead, but.

"Stay low."

I went to a full stop, tumbling each other. The loud crashing made our position more obvious, if not spotted already. There was someone there, but none of us noticed. He was already here, before they even realize our plan.

"You can move now."

"Get up! This is the only way to get us out of here!"

"But what if it isn't? What if we die? What will we do afterwards? This goes on beyond believing logic and reasoning, something you are known for, and we just have to wing it?"

Their voice is ragged and slightly different than what it should be; it's more sorrowful than worried. That will either lead us to a hopeful tomorrow, an unfathomable future, or the unexplained. Well... I don't see why dying wouldn't be better than staying in this place.

"You've got nothing to worry about."

Still, it's dumb listening to something with intelligence that doesn't have a body. The more I listen, the more I lose my mind. The voice sounded so familiar, and it's breaking my heart to hear it; yet I can't pin down, who it is.

"Then I'll do it alone. I need to do this. Once I'm out, I'll do my best to let you know I'm safe..."

"What about-"

"Then you just have to do what I did..."

I intentionally cut them off. The silence makes me think that I made the right decision. Making this gamble is my call, no one can ruin this moment for me. I've been suspicious long enough, this time I need to be the proof.

I signal them to follow; threading very carefully. My paws were bleeding from the stones. Each step I take I feel needles piercing. This feeling is so much more than an illusion, but I know for a fact that my head is just immersing itself to something.