Birthday

“When will you get here?”  Craig asks me on the phone.  I look down at my watch.

“My plane leaves in 20 minutes, so I should be there in 3 hours.”  I tell him.

“Perfect.  You’ll get here just in time for the party.”  Craig replies.

“Who are you on the phone with?” I hear Mark ask Craig.  I feel slightly panicked.  If Mark catches me on the phone with his brother, this whole thing will be ruined. 

“Mom.  Her and dad are on their way over.”  Craig lies without missing a beat.

“Oh. Okay.”  Mark replies.

“Damn.  That was close.”  Craig mumbles into the phone.

“Does he have any idea that I’m coming?”  I ask Craig.  Today is Mark’s 21st birthday and I’m surprising him.  I lied and told Mark I couldn’t make it to his party because of work because I thought surprising him would be much more romantic. 

“He is clueless.  He’s been cranky all morning and I think it’s because you’re not here, so I can’t wait to see his face when he sees you.”  Craig tells me.

“I can’t wait either.  Okay my plane is boarding.  I’ll see you soon, Craiger Bear.” I say before hanging up.

Thankfully my flight is on time.  I arrive in Colorado with plenty of time to spare.  Mark has Dew Tour this weekend so everyone is in Colorado to celebrate Mark’s birthday and to watch him compete.

When I arrive at Mark’s house, I sneak in the back door.  Craig promised to keep Mark in the front of the house so that he wouldn’t see me come in, but it looks like his efforts have failed.  The back door leads into the kitchen and as soon as I walk in the door, I hear Mark in the kitchen.  I duck down onto my knees and pray that Mark didn’t see me.

“What are you doing in here, Mark?!”  Craig asks in anxious tone.  “Everyone is in the other room.”

“I know.  I’m not really in the party mood.” I hear Mark say.  “I just wish y/n were here.  I just want my girlfriend.  I don’t feel like partying or celebrating.  I just want to see her. She hasn’t even answered any of texts for the past 3 hours.”

“Don’t stress it too much, buddy. It’s your birthday.  Grab a beer and go back out with everyone else.  I promise everything will get better.”  Craig assures his brother.

“Alright.”  Mark replies.  I wait until I’m 100% sure Mark is out of the kitchen before standing up.

“Craig!”  I say in a loud whisper.

“You’re here!”  Craig exclaims.

“Mark almost caught me sneaking in.  I’m shaking!” I tell Craig.  For a moment there I thought our whole surprise was ruined.

“He didn’t see you.  Trust me.”  Craig says. 

“Thank God.” I say.

 “Are you ready for the big surprise?” Craig asks with an excited smirk. I nod.  “Okay. Lets do this.”

Craig and I have plan.  Craig walks into the living room, leaving me alone in the kitchen.  He turns off all the lights in the living room, making the entire room pitch black.

“Oh shit!  The power went out!”  Craig lies.  I hear the gasps of the people at the party as they stumble around the dark room.  As the room is black, I sneak into the room so that when the lights go back on, Mark sees me standing there.

 “Oh look the power came back on!”  Craig shouts as he turns the lights on once again. 

“Y/N!”  Mark calls out a few seconds later.  He drops the beer from his hand and runs to across the room to me.  He scoops me up into a kiss.  We’re basically making out in front of everyone, which is especially awkward because his parents are here.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”  I cheer once we stop kissing.

“I can’t believe you’re here!”  Mark tells me.  He looks like he’s going to cry.

“Are you surprised?”  I ask as Mark keeps me cozied up in his arms.

“You have no idea.  This is the best birthday present ever.”  He answers.  The entire room awes at this. 

“Craig helped plan everything.”  I tell Mark.  He turns his head and looks at his brother with the biggest smile.

“Thanks, man!”  Mark says to Craig.

“No problem, birthday boy.”  Craig replies.  Mark then returns his attention back towards me.  He leans his forehead against mine.

“You have no idea how happy I am that you’re here.”  Mark says just loud enough for me to hear.

“Happy birthday, Mark.”  I say again.  I would call this surprise a success.