Chapter 3

You missed it
Chapter 3
Mae POV

I head downstairs putting on my jacket and sighing. I walk to the kitchen to see my roommate Julia busy eating an apple.
"Hey Julia why you up so early?" I say smoothly walking past her. I grab an apple myself just as Julia turns around to look at me.
"Hey roomie, I have a few meetings this morning" I look over her and she was wearing a very expensive white button up top with a black skirt and black heels. Her brunette hair was tied back in a neat bun with a few pieces of hair hanging lose by her face

"You look beautiful" I say and Julia smirks.
"Oh do I?" She says moving closer to me. I nod my head and take a bite of my apple.
"So what's going on with your new case?" She says and I sigh.
"So much is going on at the moment. This is the first murder we've had in 25 years so the police station is working double time to solve it" Julia puts her hands on my shoulders.
"Any idea who did it?" I shake my head.

"John thinks it's Addison, Dixie D'amelio best friend but I don't think it was her" Julia nods her head.
"Just trust your gut Mae you always seem to be right" I smile at her and look at my watch.
"Shit I got to go Julia do you need a ride?" She shakes her head.
"No thank you and one more thing" she says and kisses my cheek.
"Good luck" I wink at her and head out the door.

I get into my SUV ford police car and start it up. I drive down the roads when my phone rings. I get it out my pocket and answer it.
"John what's up?" I say.
"Hey Mae, meet me at 21 Warden road. The neighborhood reported some suspicious activity at the house next to them which is abandoned and they swore that someone was living in it" I nod my head and turn.
"I'll meet you there" I say and end the call.

I drive quickly and arrive shortly at my destination. I hop out the car and put on my police vest just Incase there is someone in there with a gun.
"Detective" John says as I get closer.
"John. Any more news?" I say and he shakes his head.
"Nope let's see if this house will get us some news" I nod my head and we head over to the house.
"What did the neighbor say?" I say.
"She said she heard a huge crash last night at about 3:00 am coming from this house, so let's be careful detective we don't know who's in there" I nod my head and take out my pistol.

We walk up to the door and I knock.
"This is the police open up!" I shout and we wait for a moment. I knock again and when there wasn't a reply I looked at John.
"Step back" he says and I roll my eyes but do what he says. He kicks the door open and we go in with our guns up and our flashlights on. He gestures with his fingers for me to go right. I go right and look inside the rooms.

"Nothing!" I shout and lower my gun. I look inside one of the rooms and I sigh. There was a dried blood patch on the ground.
"In here John!" I shout and he comes running.
"Well shit" he says and I bend down.
"The blood looks like it is a few days old" I say and John puts his gun back in his holder.
"I think this might be our victims" I say and look at John who wasn't really focusing.

"Are you still sleeping with her?" I stand up and sigh.
"John I didn't know my sex life concerned you" I say and he licks his dry lips and runs a hand in his black short hair.
"Are you?" He says and I roll my eyes.
"Look John I'm going to put your mind at ease just cause I'm not an asshole, I'm not sleeping with Julia but even if I was it's non of your god damn business now call the lab and get them down here we have a case to solve" I say and John nods his head.

He phones them quickly.
"Do you really think this is Dixie's blood, the crime scene was all the way across town?" I look around the room.
"Well the suspect could of panicked when he got Dixie and brought her here thinking it would be save but then took her all the way over to the crime scene and judging by the small puddle of blood he injured her but she was still alive" I say and my phone starts ringing.

I fish it out and see it was my mom.
"Give me a second" I say and answer the phone.
"Hey mom is there something wrong?" I say and my mom laughs.
"Honey just cause I phone you doesn't mean there's something wrong" I smile.
"Sorry mom just a habit" I say and my mom sighs.
"I know honey I just wanted to check in with you and see how you are?" I hear the sirens going off outside.
"Yeah mom I'm okay just stressed, work is a lot at the moment and I'd love to talk to you but my team just arrived I'll phone you later when I get back home" I say.

"Oh alright honey say hi to julia for me you know I like that girl" my smiles grows.
"I know you do mom and I will, I love you bye" I say.
"I love you more Mae, bye" I end the call just as my team walks in.
"Morning Mae!" I smile at London.
"Hey London" I say and she looks at John and her smile fades.
"Hi john" she says and he nods his head at her. I just smile as London looks at me and she smiles back.

"Okay I'll get to work" she says and I nod my head and John and I both walk out.
"Do you think I could get a ride with you I'm going to lend my car to one of the guys?" I nod my head.
"Yeah sure" I say and we both get into my car.
"Do you want to grab some coffee on our way to the station?" John says as I start my car.
"Sounds good" I say and start driving.

The whole car ride was silent until we arrived at the coffee shop and walked inside. We both ordered and John made small talk and we both headed back to my car. Just as we got in John just had to do it.
"Do you like her?" I look at him.
"John" I say firmly and he sighs.
"Please Mae I just want to know because when I saw you guys it didn't seem like just a one sided thing" I sigh and lean back into my seat.

"Yes I like Julia" I say and the car falls silent. I drive and everything just fades. Holy crap I like Julia.

* * *

I walk out my office my arms filled with paperwork. I see Addisons parents wave at me. I smile at them and put the paperwork on a desk. I walk over to them and shake their hands.
"Hello how are you guys holding up?" I say and they just simply shrug.
"Nothing compared to our daughter" I nod my head slowly.
"Yeah where is Addison by the way?" I say and they look at each other.

"She should be here any moment" they say but I could tell that they didn't believe themselves.
"Alright then take a seat and we will wait for her" I say and they nod there heads and sit down. I look around and sigh.

Where are you kid?

We waited for 30 minutes and Addison was no where to be seen.
"Where could she have gone!" Addison mom says to her husband.
"What if something happened to her?!" Her mom says and I get worried.
"We must find her!" I look at them.
"I'll find her" I say and they both look at me.

"I'm sure she's not far" I say grabbing my jacket.
"I'll be right back" I say and head out the station. I might have an idea where she is. I get into my car and drive as fast as I can. I go down the dirt road and stop my car. I get out and walk down the path by the river and there was Addison sitting by the rivers edge holding a gun to her head.