Chapter 39: Red with White Roses

| 3rd Person POV |

Later that night, Wen Qing came to visit Wen Ning. Wen Ning started to stir, but his eyes still laid closed. "Qing. It hurts." He said.

"Ning." Wen Qing called him. Wen Ning started to whimper as he shook. Wen Qing tried to keep him in place. "Don't be afraid. I am here. Your sister is here, Ning."

Wen Qing continued to call his name while Ning repeatedly whimpered, "It hurts." A flute started playing and Wen Ning settled down. Over on the roof, Wei Wuxian was playing a sweet melody. Wen Qing calmed down and stayed by Wen Ning's side for a little before leaving back to her bed to sleep.

The morning came and Wei Wuxian walked down to the foot of Burial Mounds to fight with Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng turned around as Wei Wuxian arrived. Jiang Cheng attacked first and went to strike with his sword. Wei Wuxian dodged Jiang Cheng's attacks while Jiang Cheng continued to try and strike his sword at Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian sent spells at Jiang Cheng, but Jiang Cheng slashed them away. Wei Wuxian jumped from rock to rock with Jiang Cheng chasing after him. After being at a decent distance from Jiang Cheng, he pulled out his flute and started playing. A shield of resentful energy blocked Jiang Cheng sword from cutting Wei Wuxian. Jiang Cheng jumped back to the rock edge across from Wei Wuxian. They glared at each other before jumping in sync to attack each other. Jiang Cheng slashed Wei Wuxian's side and he clutched the bleeding wound when he landed on the ground.

"Jiang Cheng, you seriously need to be this harsh?" Wei Wuxian grimaced.

Jiang Cheng then had blood spill out of his mouth. Jiang Cheng sheathed his sword and held onto his wound on his arm. He left the premises without saying anything. The disciples ran up to him when they saw his arm. He commanded, "Send a word to all cultivation clans. Wei Wuxian defected and is a rival against all clans. He's been banished from the Jiang Clan of Yunmeng. From now on, Wei Wuxian and Jiang Clan of Yunmeng will never be associated again."

Wei Wuxian limped back to the Burial Mounds and into the Demon-Subdue Palace. Inside sat Wen Qing. Wei Wuxian saw and covered his wound with the sack of potatoes.

Wei Wuxian walked over and said, "Ey, it's good that you're here. I've brought the potatoes back. Tell everyone to plant them tomorrow." He threw the sack down and continued to clench his wound as he sat down. Wen Qing just looked at him. "Don't look at me like that. I've already bought the potatoes. It's about time to give up on your turnips. I've also brought back some meat. Start cooking now. Everyone can eat meat tonight." Wen Qing suddenly grabbed Wei Wuxian's wrist. "Ay, what are you doing? I'm going to be cultivation partners with Wen (Y/N). You suddenly do this makes me scared." Wen Qing looked away. "Alright, I know that you want to heal my wound, but I'm really fine." He then put his hands out. After a few seconds, his wound started hurting again and he held it again.

"But if you keep delaying, I might not be fine then." Wen Qing looked at him worried. "I'd starve." Wen Qing grabbed the sack of potatoes and started leaving. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to go exchange them for turnips." Wen Qing explained. She left the palace.

Wei Wuxian tried to stand up to go after her, but his wound started hurting. Wen (Y/N) then came in. "Wei Wuxian. Wen Qing told me you had a wound? What the hell have you been doing?"

Wei Wuxian nervously laughed. "Ahh, (Y/N), I'm fine." Wen (Y/N) yanked Wei Wuxian hand away. "(Y/N). That hurts."

She scoffed. "Who stabbed you?" Wen (Y/N) quickly casted a spell on the wound to ease the pain.

"It's no one. I'm fine."

"Fine. Just don't be rash next time." Wen (Y/N) then stood up. "Also, what's this about being cultivation partners with me?" (Y/N) teased and then skipped out before Wei Wuxian could say anything.