Coming Out {26}

“A date?” I asked, my jaw dropping open.

                “Yes. A date,” Gage repeated, pushing my chin up so that my mouth shut.

                “With Alex?”

                “Yes. With Alex.”

                “Alone?”

                “Yes. Alone.”

                “What? No! Gage, I can’t take Alex on a date!” I cried in horror.

                “You don’t have to take him anywhere. He doesn’t even have to know it’s a date. Just invite him over and hang out. But, I don’t know, be all cuddling and stuff,” Gage said with a shrug. “You guys can’t stay at this awkward friendship-dating limbo forever.”

                “Invite him over. Hang out,” I said. “Yea, I can do that. Right? Can I? GAGE, CAN I DO THAT?”

                Gage slapped me and I whined and rubbed my cheek. “Not if you keep freaking yourself out for no reason!” Gage snapped in annoyance.

                Gage rubbed his temples, trying to get a hold of his temper before he killed me. “Look, just invite him over and hang out. Watch some movies. Put your arm around him. You don’t have to ask him out tonight. Just move your relationship forward a bit more. Show him you’re moving on from Gav. Let him know you want a relationship with him.”

                I gulped and nodded, my chest hurting at the thought of Gav and the video. “Yea. I will,” I whispered. “I better go find him before the buses leave.”

                “Good luck you idiot,” Gage said before strolling away.

                I went to the freshman hallway in search of Alex. I spotted him at his locker and went up to him, forcing a bright smile.

                “Hi Alex!” I said as I stepped up to him.

                “Hi Trav,” he said shyly, shoving a notebook in his bag and shutting his locker. “What’s up?”

                “I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight?” I asked cheerfully.

                He blushed and nodded. “Sure. Where?”

                “My house?”

                He nodded again. “Yea, sounds like fun! Collin could drop us off, if you wanted,” he suggested.

                I paled, but realized that Alex would have more respect for me if I faced his brother. If I tried to make peace with his brother. Collin meant the world to Alex, which meant I at least had to make an attempt at getting on good terms with him.

                I knew it would never happen. Collin was too big of a homophobe and too protective and possessive of Alex for it to happen. Plus, I was secretly plotting against him so that I could be in a relationship with Alex. But, hey, it never hurt to pretend.

                “Sure!” I said. “That would be great!”

                Alex smiled a little and motioned at me to follow him. I did so, resisting the urge to hold his hand. I didn’t want Collin to kill me just yet.