preserum steve and bucky realize their feelings 4 eachother

A/N: hi guys i wrote more r u proud

warning: light smut

a small, scrawny steve rogers stood at the bar, watching his best friend, bucky laugh and flirt with girls.

he wanted bucky to be happy of course, so why did he feel so upset watching bucky with other girls? bucky said he's just jealous that steve couldn't get any girls for himself, and logically, that made sense. but steve knew that wasn't why, he didn't want any of those girls. sure, they were all kind and beautiful, but when he looked at them, he felt nothing, only anger that they were with bucky.

steve downed his drink and turned back to the bar, hunched over the table when he felt a pat on his back. he looked up to see bucky, and a girl next to him. steves stomach started to hurt.

"hey, stevey, me and betty over here are gonna head out. see you back at home?"

steve gulped and nodded, "uh yeah, see you later buck"

bucky and his girl headed out, and steve took a deep breath. 'goddamnit steve, why do you gotta be like this' he thought to himself.

"hey, get me another drink" said steve to the bartender. steve couldn't figure out why he was so upset about bucky with other girls.... well he could think of one reason, a reason he didn't like. yeah, best to keep drinking and stop thinking about that... other reason.

so, steve stayed at the bar, drink after drink, anything to drown out the thoughts of bucky.

-a few hours later - buckys pov-

"you seem distracted, james," said betty softly.

bucky snapped up, "oh what? sorry. i just.. spaced out." he shrugged, trying to play it off. truth was, he was distracted.

"are you sure nothings bothering you?" betty asked in a sweet, feminine voice."

"i'm fine darling, don't worry about me. come on, it's a beautiful night," bucky said, waving to the sky, "let's not ruin it."

but betty didnt budge. "tell me the truth james. what's upsetting you? is there someone else?"

bucky thought for a moment. she was right, he was distracted. he kept thinking about steve, his best friend. but that was all he was. no there wasn't someone else. i mean technically there was but not in that way. they were just best buds. yeah he loved hugging, and touching steve. and yeah he always wanted to make sure he was safe, and yeah, bucky was currently on a date with a wonderful girl, yet all he could think about was his best friend but steve was just that, his best friend, right? ....... right?

bucky tried to tell himself that steve was just a friend. how could bucky ever think of him as anything more? but the more bucky told himself that him and steve were JUST friends, the less sure he seemed...no.. no no no no

"uh, james?" said betty, waving a hand in front of his face.

bucky jumped, broken from his thoughts.

"i-i'm sorry betty, i got to go." he kissed his date on the cheek, and then sprinted off in the direction of home. he had to find steve. he had no clue, no goddamn clue what he would say when he got there but he needed to find him.

bucky rushed into the apartment, only to find it empty. steve wasn't there. it seemed no one had been there since they left earlier that day.

"goddamnit steve," bucky muttered to himself, running out of the house.

he headed back to the bar from earlier, figuring that was his best shot. bucky had to find steve.

sure enough, the blonde was at the bar... and he was drunk as hell.