~nine~

^Maddie

~Like the flames that burn without a sound, I hope you kiss me like it's our last

My dad was sitting up,  awake, and talking to his doctor, he smiled when he saw me. I instantly forgot about Mark and ran into my dad's arms. 

"Don't do that to me again, oh my god I missed you so much. I'm sorry for every bad thing I've ever done in my 16 years of living. I love you so much, please don't leave me!" I sobbed into my dad's arms, trying to be careful of his injuries. 

"I'm fine, honey. I'm okay, we're okay." I sniffed and looked up, tears were still streaming down my face. Dad took his thumb and wiped them carefully away. Mark made an 'aw' sound, which made me look up at him only to see him recording me with his phone. For some reason that gave me a sense of security, like something were to happen to dad again, at least I'd have something. 

"Send that to me," I shakily said, which made everyone in the room laugh. 

"So, Karli, right?" His neurologist turned to me in which I nodded. 

"Your dad passed his neuro exam with flying colors, he seems to me in really good shape, but he'll have to stay here for a month or so." 

"But he's okay?"

"He's okay," She chuckled at me, and I smiled even wider, hugging dad even closer. 

I glared at Mark, "Is this why you picked me up earlier than you told me? Did you know?" He put his hands up in defense, "I just wanted to surprise you!" My tears stopped flowing at this point, so I wiped my face with the knuckles of my thumb, my mascara was completely ruined by now. I could feel my lashes sticking together, and the product was smeared on my knuckles. 

"Did you know Mark and I used to be lab partners in engineering school?" Dad looked at me, a smile on his face. "Really? Everything makes so much more sense. Why doesn't anyone tell me anything?" I joked, 

"I didn't think it was relevant information," He replied. "I remember your dad nearly cut his finger off with a saw trying to build a dog house for an exam," Mark explained and I widened my eyes at that. I took my dad's right hand, and sure enough, there was a two-inch scar on his pointer finger. I always knew he had that scar, but I didn't really think enough to ask him about it.

Dad laughed slightly, "And that is why I switched to becoming a mathematics professor and swore to never touch a saw again in my life." 

"That makes so much more sense than what I thought actually happened," I said in awe. 

"What did you think actually happened? A shark attack?" Mark chuckled at me, I sheepishly looked down at the hospital bed that I was sitting on. "Oh my god, that was a joke! Karli- I-" Mark immediately burst into laughter. "What type of shark would make a two-inch bite?" Dad joined in on the laughter. I jokingly glared at him, "I thought a mini-shark bit you when you and mom went to the aquarium! I was two, okay?" 

Time faded into hours of dad and Mark reconnecting. My mom still hasn't made much progress, but we're remaining hopeful. Soon, visitor hours were over at about 8 pm, and Mark made our way back to his house. He's picking me up right after my English exam tomorrow, I would skip, but it's the last week of school and I wouldn't have any chance to do the makeup test. 

My phone started ringing as soon as we got into the car. I picked it up without bothering to look at the I.D. "Hello?" 

"Hey, Karls!" Lucas's voice chimed through the speaker, my mouth perked up into a smile, a warm sensation flowing through my body.  A nervous feeling, but also a feeling of comfort. I just felt safe listening to his voice.