12

What is that smell? I thought as a strange woodsy smell flooded my nostrils. It was the first thing I thought as I began to wake up. Why can’t I feel my arm?  I suddenly recalled all the events from before I’d passed out and the events from before I’d passed out and my eyes flew open. My brain felt as if it was being stabbed as soon as my eye lids parted. I automatically shut them tight against the light. My ears were filled with a very pathetic sounding groan, and it took me a moment to realize that it was coming from my own throat. Clamping my mouth shut, I risked opening my eyes again. Blinking against the light my eyes again. Blinking against the light I slowly became aware of every part of my body, and my surroundings.

The room was small, wooden, and very cozy feeling, but that didn’t make me anymore comfortable. A fire was stoked and well fed, but there wasn’t a single person besides me. I began to push myself up but minced. I pulled my right arm to my chest and awkwardly continued to push myself up with my left. A crude cloth bandage was wrapped around my arm, but a deep red spot was seeping through it and a deep purple bruise showed a little under the edge on either end. I grimaced.

A door in the corner just across from me began to rattle on its hinges. I jumped, and wondered how I could defend myself, but I couldn’t see any way. After a few grunts and bangs from the other side it flew open suddenly. “Ruddy door,” The irritated voice belonged to a tall man who looked down at a stack of wood that was grasped in his arms. He looked up at me and I gasped. “Oh, good you’re awake.” He smiled at me and dropped the wood next to the door.

Weston moved toward me and sat on the edge of the bed I laid in. “Oh you’ve torn it open.” He frowned looking down and taking my arm gingerly. He gently untied a small knot that was holding the bandage together and then unwrapped it. I suddenly became aware that he wasn’t actually touching me at all and the back of my throat cracked sharply. Weston’s ice blue eye glanced up at me. I realized my mouth was hanging open and promptly shut it, but I could tell he had already seen it.

“Oh,” He sat up realizing something. “I suppose you must be extremely confused.” He waved his fingers and the bandaged threw its self into the flames. “I’m Prince Braxton.” He paused and watched me as if he was waiting for me to recognize him, but his gaze was met with my blank stare. “I’m Weston’s twin brother. Didn’t he mention me?” He seemed far less professional now. I still couldn’t find any words to say to him. My jaw flapped helplessly with no sound coming out, much like a fish. He frowned again and then pulled a clean piece of cloth from a small table. It was silent for a moment before my brain actually seemed to work.

“Why was he confused about wizarding?” I asked finally, finding that my voice was hoarse. A small half hearted smile played on his lips.

“My mother kept it a secret from everyone, even my father. No one knew, but my mother and my grandmother. They taught me everything I know. They were worried that if word got out that I was a wizard I would be targeted. They didn’t want me to be kidnapped, or worse, killed.”

I winced as he began to wrap my forearm.

“Sorry,” Braxton finished binding my arm and then laid it gently across my stomach. “You banged up your arm pretty bad. What happened to it?”

“Where are Jameston and Molly?” I asked ignoring his question and kicking off the blankets that were draped over me. “Where am I? Where did Hanry go?” I stood but had to place a hand on the wall when I became very dizzy. It soon passed and I spied my boots sitting by the fire.