The party (Elijah's POV)

I stood in my room, getting ready for the party Niklaus had thrown in order of a kill that he made. It was nothing special, a vampire threatened his place as king but was defeated. I didn't take interest, I was too worried about Rose. I kept thinking about the words she wrote and the pain she was in, if I were able to take the pain instead of her, I would.

I walked halfway down the stairs, to meet Niklaus and Marcel, Rebekah hadn't been in town for a long time, I did miss her. "Thank you for coming out" I started "help yourself to any refreshments from the bar and feel free to dance the night away" I scanned the crowd looking for familiar faces. After some time, I locked eyes with Hayley, she was dressed in a long black dress, very figure hugging, she looked beautiful, but every time I thought about how well she looked, I was cut off by the image of Rose.

I stood at the bar with a glass of bourbon in my hand. I kept looking at the balcony hoping that Rose will come down, but there was no movement. A song came on for the guests to waltz to, I loved this song, me and Rose danced to it when she first came back to me. My thoughts were interrupted by Hayley "Elijah, seems to me that you're a bit lonely, care for a dance?"
"Isn't it the male that asks the female to dance?" I joked "not in this case" she smiled, reaching out her arm for me to take it, I raised my arm and grasped hers, leading her onto the dance floor.

Throughout the dance, I looked up at the balcony, to see if Rose came out. But no, I didn't think she felt well enough to come out. We spent a passionate moment in the church before being interrupted, and I have never stopped thinking about it. A dazed look came over my face, "Elijah" Hayley exclaimed "sorry I was just thinking"
"Well think less, I wanted to say how much I miss you "
"Oh Hayley, you know I've been busy with my own things"
"Yeah, I know, that witch, we were perfectly fine before she came along"
"Listen, Hayley" my voice grew sterner "me and Rose have been forever, she was my first love, and yes I have loved others, but not as much as her, so if I have to choose between her or someone else, I'm sorry Hayley but it'll be Rose always"
"But I love you" she said disappointedly "oh Hayley I'm sorry, it's just not our time" I reached down to kiss her head, but as soon as we touched, I caught sight of Rose, looking very hurt. I stepped away from Hayley immediately, watching her every move. Hayley was confused, but I kept watching Rose, she kept down and snatched a woman from the bar and took her back up. Rose was deteriorating, becoming a monster, the Pain unbearable for her, pushing her towards the edge, I wasn't going to lose her that easily.