Chapter 12

Nine

The sound of giggling outside my room signaled that someone had already arrived. The other staffs were more than excited, every time he showed his face at my workplace. They had made it their mission to be our best supporters, and vowed to keep the secret with their live, grounded to just within the facility and blocking it from any others. The reason being, I was never seen with any other partner before him, and of course, he was indeed popular among the young adult circle.

I'd already told him to just wait for me at home, but that determine, energetic man refused to rest first and usually just ambushed me at work. Though a little insufferable, I couldn't help but feel excited and important too. We'd been together for almost half a year. The conflicting schedules, caused us to be separated most of the time, but we managed with calls and social platforms to catch up on each other. I liked being in a relationship. Someone was always watching out for you and being a supportive comfort in your bad days, no matter how busy; made the burden tolerable.

The moment the door was closed, I raised my face from the case that I was reviewing, and smiled brightly at the gorgeous guy whom I could now call, my man. Yes, we decided to be clear of our status, though without label, we were exclusive. Are we in love? If missing each other, care about each other, be stupid with one another, fight and made up, is love, then we are in love. All I could do, was living every day to the fullest, without thinking so much about the unknown timestamp of my end. Yes, I decided to put my worry to rest, for now. If we only had today to be together, then at least I knew that this last day was spent well with my most beloved person.

"Come here, I think I look better than those papers that you're focusing on", he said while opening his arms wide, ready to embrace me the moment I came close. I just laughed and stood from my chair, moved closer to him and simply decided to surprise him with not just an embrace, but a fast hook to his neck, pulling him down to my height and gave him a lushfull biting kiss.

"Damn, I am...too gentlemanly...I should have...been crazy...first!", he said between breaths every time I opened my mouth to engulf more. I ended it by kissing his neck before releasing my arms and stepped down from standing on my toes. This guy was too tall, but his built was sturdy enough to support my weight by holding me firmly on my back and hips.

"I missed you", I said and caressed his cheek. His was a little shocked. It was the first time I voiced it out directly, without shying away whenever he asked if I missed him.

"Usually you just show it, but really, it feels slightly different liked this. I liked it, too much, hearing how you feel about me", he bent down and gave me a light peck.

"Don't be too happy. I was jealous, you're flirting with the staffs, outside of my room, I could hear those giggles", I said with a little pout, just teasing him some more. I knew he never did that, but I just loved it when he tried to convince me otherwise, with his over the top confidence.

"Look, Nine. They're just fans, I couldn't just ignore and act arrogant around them. Well, it's not a fault to be born charming, while also, superbly handsome, right?", he asked with a proud face.

"Eyyy, that's why there's no use for me to play jealous at all. It was a waste. You don't even feel a bit insecure", I said while thumping his chest, and released myself from his hold. I rubbed his arms and asked, "Aren't you tired? The schedule was longer this time, almost 3 weeks, right?".

"Hmm, yes, I am tired. But, this, right here is my energy booster", his words brought a smile to my face.

"My shift is not yet up, got 2 more hours before I can leave. Please, go back home and rest first, okay...".

"Whose home, yours or mine?".

"Erm? Why does it matter? I'll call you before I go".

He moved closer and whispered in my ear, "Dare to kiss me liked that, bear some responsibility, will you? My bed is bigger", he said and nibbled lightly. The blush that consumed my face was immediate, uncontrolled.

"Get out, you pervert! I'm working!", I said while turning him towards the door and pushed the resisting body hard.

"If I'm a pervert, then, you are a willing partner, owned it, Nine", he said, before giving me another peck on the cheek and went out with a mischievous smirk. I just shook my head, still blushing, but yet happy. As soon as the door was closed, I turned and went back to sit at my desk. I tried to look back at the papers that I was working on before Joong arrived, yet the writing seemed to be, blurry? What? I never needed to wear glasses, and it was alright just now. I tried to focus but still, somehow it was blurry. Hmm, maybe I was too tired, or too worked out seeing Joong after 3 weeks. I gave up and leaned back on my chair, closing my eyes to rest them for a bit.

After a while, I could sense some presence in the room. I knew who it was, so I opened my eyes and immediately smiled at Areo, who sat in front of me.

"Areo, you left me hanging for such a long time, buddy". Areo just nodded his head a little bit. "How are things up there, Areo, too much work?". He shook his head. "Aaah, that's why you got time to see me now". I tried to tease him in a cheerful voice, but honestly, my heart felt heavy seeing Areo became muted liked this. I was used to be able to banter with his unfeeling self, talking and sharing everything liked a best friend. We were together for centuries. Though he didn't understand it, all that he did for me, was truly sincere and loving.

"I am together with Joong now, Areo. He hasn't yet said he loves me, but he has shown it, with everything. So do I. I was really a fool, to let centuries of chances, went down the drain without having him besides me, until you...until you... just to enlighten me...became liked this. I'm so sorry...", I couldn't hold it in anymore, and tears started to cloud my eyes. The cheerfulness that I managed to portray at the start, was breaking my heart more, and I just decided to let go. Areo is my best friend. It was not wrong to cry for him, no matter how confused he would be to see me liked this.

Areo shook his head, and reached out to caress my hand, comforting me. A small satin cloth appeared from air, and fell down lightly on my desk. Areo signaled for me to use it to dry the tears that had fallen on my cheeks. I laughed a little and did as he asked. I kept thinking that if Areo is a human, his partner would be the luckiest person on earth.

"Do you miss me? Is that why you come down to see me?". Areo remained stoic. Of course, he couldn't comprehend what missing someone felt liked. "Okay, I asked a nonsense question. Sorry Areo. You must be confused again with my words. Would you stay here for a while? I got a lot of things to tell you, my friend. Erm, let the trainee Angels covered for you a bit", I said with a wink, and started my endless one-sided talk.

Areo stayed until a patient was brought into my room half an hour later. I saw him giving me an intense look; if that was what the long, heavy blank look was meant for; before turning and disappearing.

I didn't know, and wouldn't know, that the whole time, Areo's hand was hurting, from holding my Leaf that had started to burn; leaving the first dark spot, on the surface that was dominantly brown now, with only a little yellow left.

All the green, had gone.