Chapter Thirty Four

"What a touching scene." We separated just as I heard the scathing tone of Laina. My eyes met dark ones. It was cold and empty. Then there was fury. Pain. Surely not.

But why did I feel guilty? Like I was caught red-handed by my husband trysting with another man?

That was what his eyes were conveying. He wouldn't be jealous.

Not Rave.

"Riel if I were you I would put a ring to her finger to secure your future together, right Rave?" She turned to him whose gaze wasn't leaving mine. If only looks could kill I might have been dead on the spot. His stare was scorching me.

"I doubt if someone could make an honest woman out of her."

I glared at him. I know an insult when I hear one. And Rave was good at giving me that crap.

"Yes. You doubt. What do I care? What matters is Riel and me." I saw his hands curled into tight fists.

"Anyway... dinner's ready." Laina smiled sweetly at Riel and waved her hand at Rave as she turned her back on us. I was hoping Rave would follow Laina because I couldn't quite take the awkward tension in the air. It was suffocating. Riel arched his brow. But Rave only leaned on the doorframe in a boring fashion. He's not really going to leave us alone, I could really see that.

"Let's go down now." Riel escorted me to the door. I glared at the infuriating guy standing there arms crossed. He twitched the corner of his lips in a mocking grin. Riel matched his challenging stare.

"Riel.. no." I was alarmed. I dragged him away from Rave.

Funny how the dinner was deafening with nothing but its awkward silence. I was playing with the food on my plate. I was facing Rave while Riel was beside me. Laina was sitting at the matriarch chair which had been Mamita's.

"So... when's the big day?"

I raised my eyebrow as I glanced up at Laina. I'd been wrong... yeah. I should have just get on with my plan of sewing her mouth shut forever. It's working overtime again.

"Big day?"

"If I'm going to decide for it, it'll be tomorrow." He laughed and covered my hand which made me jump a little. It slipped off my head that Riel's beside me. My mind kept wandering to the man in front of me.

I smiled. "I would love to... but." He squeezed my hand and brought it to his lips.

"I know... and I'm willing to wait."

I heard a loud yawn. Didn't have to guess whose rudeness it was. "I hate drama just as I hate PDA." I glared at him. Riel gritted his teeth, I could feel his hold on my hand getting tighter due to annoyance.

Just as I hate you now Rave...

"Really Rave? Do you still have this motto of 'love 'em then leave 'em' with women?" Riel cast him a sidelong glance that indicated a challenge of sort. Well, men are men. I rolled my eyes heavenward. I stood up not minding my manners and the leering stare of Laina.

"Riel?" He followed me to the doorway and out in the garden. I hugged myself from the cold. It's summer but why do I feel this... this... coldness? It's annoying. I rubbed my arm when Riel reached for me. I would have eluded his touch if he was't any quicker.

"Can we make it official?" He smiled. "Sealed with a kiss?" I chuckled at his playful charm. There goes this one hot guy who would make everything all right. But you can't teach your heart, can you? It's stubborn.. just as the owner.

"Riel, it's late."

He prolonged his sigh into a long puff. "I know a rebuff when I hear one." I nodded and he caressed my cheek before going away. I waited before his car had gone out of sight. I raised one perfectly plucked eyebrow.

"I know that you're an NBI agent Rave, but you don't have to spy on me." I called out wearily. Out of the dark corner of the alley he stepped out. His hands were shoved inside his jeans pocket. He always wore this devil-may-care attitude. The way he walks, he talks... but underneath lies a dangerous man. Well, my gut feel was screaming that at me.

"It's bedtime sleeping beauty." He drawled out. "Didn't the prince kiss you to sleep?" He wagged one finger in the air as if thinking. His eyes were squinted.

"Oh... no, he has kissed me earlier to awaken me. You saw that, didn't you?" I was taunting him. He was staring at me as if I was mad. "Well, why are you still here? Shouldn't you be singing lullabys to bed Laina?" I covered my mouth and let out a big O. "No, no... sorry for being rude. I mean... not to bed Laina. But to make her sleep." I flashed him a sugary smile and walked past him. Ah, but it hurt to smile like that when I wanted to shout at him.

"How long?" I was nailed to the ground confused by his question. I felt the hairs on my nape stood on end. He walked like a cat considering his size. I gulped and closed my eyes to tamper my simmering emotions. My breathing went erratic, so is my heart. Foolish.

"What games are you playing Maire?" It was a whisper-caress in my ear. He wasn't touching me, but there was an invisible electric wire that hang in the air between us.

"You're insane." I shook my head.

"How long until you get tired of him? Two days? Three?" I turned to face him angrily but the look on his face stopped whatever I was about to say. His masked facade wasn't there anymore. I was scared by the animosity in his expression. I moved a couple of steps backward until my back hit the solid wall behind me. Damn. I tried to run sideways but his arms were already on both sides pinning me.

"Rave?" He stiffened. I snorted. "See? You have to put the princess to bed."

"Maire—"

I flinched when he tried to reach for me. I started to go to the driveway.

"Where the hell do you think are you going?"

"Out. None of your business." I said stonily. I drove the car with full speed stepping on the brake hard enough. I hate you Rave, I hate you.. I pummeled the steering wheel until my fists turned red with pain. He's right, I bruised easily... so is my heart.

I'm going to find Lucy. I'll try with the place where we always go. To Lovers' Lounge. I was already calm, sipping my wine just blending in with the crowd.

"Hello pretty lady... remember me?" I looked up to see him. I smiled sheepishly. How could I forget? He's one of my trophies.

"Looks like the lady had forgotten me already, make me..." Before I knew it he bent down and kissed me on the lips. It was too late to avoid it. He hadn't touched me lest kiss me before. I had paid someone to do the dirty job for me. I was just the front act. They thought I was the one they're sleeping with.

"Mickey Salazar, how could I forget the only man who willingly wanted to bring me to his momma." An evil gleam twinkled in my eyes I could see it reflect through the wineglass.

"Of course," He said while caressing the soft spot in my wrist. I shivered in disgust. But I'd play his game this one last time.

"I hadn't thought you serious with me then Mickey..." He was charming with his boyish aura.

"I am... don't you think.. it's... hot here and noisy." He whispered in my ear.

Final straw Marie Claire. "Will you bring me to your momma now Mickey?" I smiled as he paled. Now that I'm stained with the scandal. Now that my druglord of a father is dead. He mopped a hanky on his sweating brow. Coward.

"Let's go Marie Claire, let's talk about that after..."

"She's not going with you." Dammit.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Saving damsel in distress."