Chapter Forty

"Damn." His fist was clenched. He punched the ground hard. "Rave."

"I'm going out there. You have to run... don't make a sound."

"No. I'm not going to let you get out of there. Riel will kill you." I clutched his arm tighter than I intended. He was pulling free from my grasp. I was getting afraid, I knew him when he was determined to do something.

"She's my sister Maire. I can't let him do anything bad to her.."

"What would you do? You're not Superman! Look at you... whatever training you've had under the SWAT, the NBI... it's useless with your condition." I hissed at him. I was holding on to the belief that he wouldn't be foolish even if I knew that I'm losing this argument.

"Maire, you cannot stop me." He stood up and pushed me down on the ground for safer vantage point. Damn him. He's going to sacrifice his life for that... that God-awful sister of his? God I'm sorry...

"Okay." I nodded angrily at him. "Trade me for your sister."

"Don't do this to me Maire. Don't make me choose." He gripped my arm tight. I met his angry stare.

"If you think you can threaten me to go Rave. Then you don't know me." I stressed out every words in anger. He was so stupid. How could I love somebody like him? Bullheaded, stubborn and..

"Please Maire... Just... trust me on this one." He whispered and limped his way out. He bent down and claimed my mouth full and hard. It was like a kiss of death. Like it was indicating something... something I was afraid to face.

I trust you Rave... but not on this one.

He pulled free from my tight grasp. I couldn't utter a word as much as I want to.

"Rave! I'll count one to three... and it's over."

"You don't have to shout Riel. I'm here." Rave said calmly. I could see them from afar. Laina was clutching her Dior pouch tightly. Her knuckles were getting white. So maybe... she wasn't really included? From the looks of her, she didn't seem like a prisoner of how many days. And my hand was shaking violently. What could I do?

"What's happening?" Laina shrieked. I rolled my eyes heavenward as if asking for miracles. Goodness, I would turn dead at Laina's stupidity. Where's Lucy? My God.

"Riel... give Laina to me. And I promise you, you won't go to jail."

"Of course not Rave. I know where you're going to put me! And I don't like the white room. Do you think I'm stupid? Give Maire to me... or..." He smiled as he pressed the gun to Laina's throat.

Rave limped his way slowly to him. But Riel pointed the gun at him. "Pumpkin... do you want to see how I blow your beloved's head?" His shout echoed through the woods. The birds flipped out of their nests. It was like they knew what was happening around them. My heart was pounding inside my chest.

"She's gone. Not here."

"You bastard! Why are you doing this to me?" Laina was now crying and trying hard to breathe through her tears. But her face was one of disdain and hatred for Riel. She looked scared, but not too scared to curse him. Well, it runs in the blood. She's as stubborn as his brother.

"Shut up you scatterbrain!" Riel was piqued now. She gasped. "I'm not a scatterbrain. You, you mad moron!" He pressed the gun on her mouth that made her eyes bulged. It did shut her up.

"Riel, will you please... give over. The authorities are coming soon."

"Nye, nye, nye, nye. Poor Rave... he doesn't know what to do." Riel made a crying face and triggered the gun. I heard a loud shot that had made me jumped through the forest yews. Laina screamed. I ran out in the open to Rave.